Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Problems with GoPro Hero 8 and Mic Adapter

[ New ]

Hello,

I am having several problems with my GoPro Hero 8 (bought in summer 2020) and MicAdapter (original gopro). The battery is an original gopro one in the menu it says it is at excellent health. Firmware is updated to 2.50. Microphone is a Rode VideoMic Pro+. The memory card is an original Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB.

1. When I am booting the GoPro Hero 8 with the Mic Adapter while it is plugged into a charging device, the GoPro does not recognize my microphone (says N/A in the menu). If I boot it without it being connected to the charging device the microphone gets detected correctly and I can connect it to the charger.

2. Since the microphone only gets detected when running on battery I cannot use the GoPro without battery despite having a USB power supply at hand (I only filmed indoors so far for vlogging purposes).

3. When starting a recording the camera stops charging and consumes my battery, so I need to make sure the battery is full, despite it being connected to the power supply or I risk that it suddenly turns off due to running out of power.

4. The camera randomly crashes while recording, usually in the first minute of the recording or never (rarely around the 40min mark, but that might be overheating at that point). But I cannot reproduce it, sometimes it happens several times in a row then there are several weeks of no crashes.

I am starting to think either the camera or the adapter or both are broken. It is my understanding that the camera + mic adapter should work without having to use a battery, but seems like it is not the case for me.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Problems with GoPro Hero 8 and Mic Adapter

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @bastianf035. It would be best to determine whether or not the mic adapter is faulty to isolate the issue. To proceed, please submit a contact request through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Problems with GoPro Hero 8 and Mic Adapter

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @bastianf035. It would be best to determine whether or not the mic adapter is faulty to isolate the issue. To proceed, please submit a contact request through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.