Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

New Hero 9 Remote - Good News / Bad News

[ New ]

Today I received my new "The Remote" that works with my Hero 9.  There is good news and bad news...

The good news is

• The Remote really does connect to and allow control of my GoPro 9
  • Excellent battery life; the new remote has so-far lasted 2+ hours without a recharge and the battery still has about an 96% charge! - So, the low-power Bluetooth connection makes a bit difference.  (By way of example, my previous Smart Remote would last only about an hour on a single charge when controlling my previous GoPro camera.)

The bad news is

• The Remote hangs after being connected to the Hero 9 anywhere from about 40 minutes to 70 minutes.  So far I haven't found a path to reconnect the remote to the camera other than manually stopping the camera from recording, powering off the remote and powering the remote back on.
Nomad

Re: New Hero 9 Remote - Good News / Bad News

[ New ]

The remote control has a connection issue. Today I used it for the first time with three Hero 9 cameras connected. It paired quickly and easily. It worked great for about the first 45 minutes or so then I got my first disconnect for no apparent reason. It was the camera that sits directectly behind my head (2 feet from remote). I had to manually go through the camera menu and pair it again. Then about 30 minutes later, a different camera disconnected from the remote. This time it was a camera that is directly in front of me (3 feet from the remote). I manually paired it again. After a few minutes, the rear camera disconnected again. And again. And again. I finally gave up on the remote control. The low power consumption is excellent. I used it for 4 hours non stop and when I got home to charge it, it was still at 97%. How can this be? It barely used any battery. I hope this is accurate but I have my doubts.

Nomad

[ New ]

After the problems with sound, this is the next nightmare gopro users have to face. How much more will we suffer?

Nomad

[ New ]

I just contacted support concerning The Remote problems I'm having. They issued an RMA for replacement. I just hope the replacement does not have the same issues. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I got my new Remote today. I give it 1 star unless someone can show me how to turn the camera on and off to save camera battery during waits during long sessions like the smart remote could. What's the point of having a lower power connection to the camera, to save battery, but you can't turn the camera off so the battery continues to drain. A day on the water with the smart remote was great as the camera could be off until I needed to record.  I don't understand GoPro.  The new Hero isn't even an action cam anymore but a VLogger cam. It is over 40% larger, (by volume) than the Hero 8 and over 40% heavier.  An action cam needs to be light and small so it doesn't get knocked off during intense and extreme action. 

Nomad

[ New ]

@wstt Press and hold the "mode" button to turn cameras off

@wstt wrote:

I got my new Remote today. I give it 1 star unless someone can show me how to turn the camera on and off to save camera battery during waits during long sessions like the smart remote could. What's the point of having a lower power connection to the camera, to save battery, but you can't turn the camera off so the battery continues to drain. A day on the water with the smart remote was great as the camera could be off until I needed to record.  I don't understand GoPro.  The new Hero isn't even an action cam anymore but a VLogger cam. It is over 40% larger, (by volume) than the Hero 8 and over 40% heavier.  An action cam needs to be light and small so it doesn't get knocked off during intense and extreme action. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have an update on this...

The problem with the new "The Remote" hanging is with the Hero 9.

I paired "The Remote" with my GoPro 8 and started filming. I expected the remote to hang after 40-70 minutes like it did multiple times with the GoPro 9.  It *never* hung.  

I checked the remote after 4h 2m and it was still communicating with the GoPro 8 and was able to stop the recording process on the GoPro 8.  

Therefore....  The issue is with the connection between the GoPro 9 and "The Remote".

BTW, the battery on "The Remote" was still going strong after 4h 2m and it wasn't even at 100% when it started!

Nomad

[ New ]

@señor-trail wrote:

I have an update on this...

The problem with the new "The Remote" hanging is with the Hero 9.

I paired "The Remote" with my GoPro 8 and started filming. I expected the remote to hang after 40-70 minutes like it did multiple times with the GoPro 9.  It *never* hung.  

I checked the remote after 4h 2m and it was still communicating with the GoPro 8 and was able to stop the recording process on the GoPro 8.  

Therefore....  The issue is with the connection between the GoPro 9 and "The Remote".

BTW, the battery on "The Remote" was still going strong after 4h 2m and it wasn't even at 100% when it started!

This is interesting to know. I did a chat with customer support and they said my remote needed to be replaced. So.... I'm waiting on the replacement now. Sounds like they Hero 9 will need a firmware update to fix it.  :(