Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

ND filters & hypersmooth gopro 8

Hi!!!
I was looking to buy some nd filters, but from what I have seen the electronic stabilization doesn't work well, does anyone have them? Thanks!!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: ND filters & hypersmooth gopro 8

@ismawrc, HyperSmooth works best in an entirely lighted scene. Using ND filters (with HyperSmooth enabled) may cause jitter effects on the footage if the picture is too dark for the camera to process. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

@ismawrc, HyperSmooth works best in an entirely lighted scene. Using ND filters (with HyperSmooth enabled) may cause jitter effects on the footage if the picture is too dark for the camera to process. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Ok!! @aenriquez
Thanks for the answer info!!!
Highlighted
Nomad

The only reason to use ND filter is to use slower shutter speed for a cine effect. If that is important to you (and this is a big IF, I found that for action shots for me it is not) you may have less effective stabilization. As the image gets more "unsharp" the camera has a problem to find patterns used to compare the images and shift them to stay in one place (sorry maybe not the best explanation). This effect is real, I tried ND on MTB and clips were practically non stabilized. Another problem is that once you set shutter speed for 1/60 sec then you have to decide which ND filter to use to stay within reasonable ISO range. There is not a good explanation of this procedure I know of. 

I do not want to write against ND filters, just wanted to point out that to use them takes some experimentation and the final effect may not be worth it.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi @bovk
Thanks for share your experience !!
All this info has helped me greatly!!!
Highlighted
Hiker

Yes, I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on this now, and it's absolutely true. I have filmed our in brightest sunlight with nd32, a fairly open scene which moves in to shadows (forest) and the trouble becomes very clear.

What I'm planning to do...
Is buy a gimbal (WG2X), use polar pros corner mounted shutter collection.

I am just wishing I'd found out sooner, because..

I bought rollcage+ polar.pros 'rollcage- suited' Nd set.

Then.. filmed, found out the aforementioned, and blue I learned that the WG2X + Hero8 frame, cannot be used with the Hero8+rollcage.

It just won't fit in the hero8 frame that the gimbal has.

The rollcage adds ~4mm all round the camera body.

I really don't know why noone manufactures adjustable height gimbals in this sturdy design. I guess I could get one of those stretch-open frames..

But I don't know if I'd trust an expensive camera in one, down a hill, with bumps!

What I will end.up doing, is selling the rollcage+PolarPro set.. and buying instead, their other set (the magnetic clip on ones).

And try and sell the others..