Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

My Rode video mic is TRRS, but only works when plugged halfway into the GoPro USB-C/3.5 adapter ..

[ New ]

Do I need to get a TRS male tipped adapter?

IMG_5409.jpg
Hiker

Re: My Rode video mic is TRRS, but only works when plugged halfway into the GoPro USB-C/3.5 adapter

[ New ]

Follow up, I bought a mono adapter and it STILL doesn't work. Why would the Gopro adapter NOT work with a Rode video mic THAT IS ON THE LIST OF COMPATIBLES?

GoPro

Re: My Rode video mic is TRRS, but only works when plugged halfway into the GoPro USB-C/3.5 adapter

[ New ]

Hello, @adroitcres2048. have you been able to test the Rode mic using a different device? This will help isolate the issue. Also, by not working do you mean the recorded file does not have audio? How do you do the recording? See if the observed issue is related to External Microphone Information

Hiker

Re: My Rode video mic is TRS, but only works when plugged halfway into the GoPro USB-C/3.5 adapter

[ New ]

It's actually TRS, sorry ... I had been using my Rode shotgun mic (With a TRS plug) with my Canon Vixia for years, and hoped to use it with the GoPro so I bought the GoPro USB to 3.5mm adapter brick. When I record with the Rode plug fully inserted into the adapter, I get no audio on the video file on playback. When I plug the Rode TRS plug halfway in, I get audio. (not an ideal situation, since there's no audio level meter on the GoPro so I know there's even audio being recorded until after I stop and play it back)

I've ordered a new Rode Micro video mic and will try that.  (Which is also TRS)

Hiker

[ New ]

TRS Rode mic to GoPro adapter to GoPro Hero 10

IMG_5408.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

I believe you're plugging a mono source into an unbalanced stereo input. I believe your Rode Mike is using the tip and the ring as the plus and minus with the sleeve as ground.  When you put this into a stereo input, the plus and minus cancel each other out. When you put the plug-in only part way it's only receiving the plus signal without the cancellation, so that's why it works. I have a Panasonic camcorder that also seems to "know" whether I am plugging in a balanced source or a stereo source, so that's why it worked for you before.

What you need is to wire a plug so that the ring is shorted out to the sleeve or isn't connected to anything. It's hard to find adapters that do this, there must be some. By the way, the big problem all over the place are the telephone headsets that do have a tip - ring – ring – sleeve connector, with it being left, right, microphone, ground.

Unfortunately, you'll find that if your Rode mic is a mono source, that the output will be six DB lower than it would be if It was going into a balanced input. 

Hiker

Re: My NEW Rode video mic is TRS, STILL only works when plugged halfway into GoPro USB-C/3.5 adapter

[ New ]

My BRAND NEW Rode video mic is TRS, STILL only works when plugged halfway into my BRAND NEW GoPro USB-C/3.5 adapter in my BRAND NEW Hero 10. I need and external MIC.

According  to all GoPro documentation, this should work?? Why does it only work halway in ?   A camera jiggle could make it pop the cable out of the adapter jack.

mic-camera.jpg
Hiker

Re: My NEW Rode video mic is TRS, STILL only works when plugged halfway into GoPro USB-C/3.5 adapter

[ New ]

Truth be told, I can't tell if its even the actual mic audio when plugged in half way, might be the camera mic audio