Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Media Mod causes clicking noise on Hero 8 audio

[ New ]

GoPro Hero 8--

serial number:  C3331325088684

software version:  2.50

Media Mod--

model number:  AAMIC-001

Problem Details--

When using the Media Mod, my Hero 8 records a constant clicking noise in the audio.  The clicking sound can be faint, or loud.  The prominence of the clicking sound seems to be related to whether or not there are other sounds recorded.  With no ambient sound the clicking may be fairly loud and easily noticed, with some ambient sound, the clicking sound seems more faint.  This happens using multiple external microphones.  Those same external microphones connected to other devices do not produce the clicking sound.  When using my Hero 8 without the Media Mod, and using the internal microphone, there is also no clicking noise in the audio.

Based on additional information found on the internet about other people having similar problems, I think that my Media Mod may be at fault.  This problem has happened since receiving the Media Mod brand new.

I am happy to provide additional details, or attempt troubleshooting.  If GoPro would be willing to send me another Media Mod to try, I would be happy to try that.

An example of the faint clicking sound being experienced can be heard in this video clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFoZD7eTyFg) from 3:26 to 3:32 where there is a fair amount of ambient noise and speaking.  I can obtain a more prominent capture with less ambient noise if required as the problem is easy to reproduce.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Connect Media Mod via USB to GoPro Hero 8

2) Connect external mic, such as "Rode Go" to the Media Mod

3) Turn on Hero 8

4) Record video in a very quiet setting

5) Playback video and constant clicking will be heard in the audio track.  Using audio tools, the constant clicking can also be seen in the wave form of the audio.

In a streak of a bad luck, most of my tractors developed issues at the same time and I didn't have time to fix them before winter. They sat all winter with ...

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Media Mod causes clicking noise on Hero 8 audio

[ New ]

Hello, @bluesurf1540. Thank you for the complete description of the issue that you provided. It would then be best to determine if the Media Mod is faulty. To proceed, please submit a contact request through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Once connected to Support, you may direct them to this thread for reference on what you have already done in terms of troubleshooting. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Media Mod causes clicking noise on Hero 8 audio

[ New ]

Hello, @bluesurf1540. Thank you for the complete description of the issue that you provided. It would then be best to determine if the Media Mod is faulty. To proceed, please submit a contact request through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Once connected to Support, you may direct them to this thread for reference on what you have already done in terms of troubleshooting.