Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Media Mod Hero 9 - random Noise via Extertal mic

[ New ]
Hi there i've bought the hero 9 media mod and got following problem:

As soon as connecting a TRS cable mic to the mic plug there is a random noise underlaying the video.
I set the media mod to external mic. This is very bad. The noise is even there when i only plug in on side of the trs cable without the mic at the other end of the cable. When using the integrated mic the noise is not present. It seems that theres some ground loop in the electronic of the mod regarding the mic input?

I'm very frustrated because the media mod is a very expensive add on and it makes a very cheap and low quality impression because it is fully made of cheap plastic. For a price about 90Euro i would have expected some metal housing AND a housing that works fine. Not such a bad quality.

So my question is: is the media mod electronic defective, creating an underlaying random noise even if its only the cable or different external mics connected to the cam OR does GoPro commit that this is state of the art which would be very poor for such a superior product.

Best Regards, Robert
GoPro

Re: Media Mod Hero 9 - random Noise via Extertal mic

[ New ]

Hi @daringcave4565

If you haven't yet, check out Connecting an External Microphone

Did you have Wi-Fi turned on?

Were you able to test the mic using another device?

If the issue is only observed with the Media Mod, please reach out to Support to have this checked further.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey there! Yes of course i've checked the manuals and settings.
The mic are working proper at other devices. i've also tried using different TRRS <=> TRS adaptor jackets.
Nothing resolves teh rando noise. at the moment u plug in any 3,5mm jacket, regardless if it is an TRS TRRS adaptor jacket or a TRS mic, it begins instantly to create random noise in the vid. unplugging solves the problem, because then the internal media mod mic gets active.

Disabling GPS, Bluetoch, WLAN does not change anything.

I think i have to send this od back and will get new one to see if its normal behaviour or not.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @daringcave4565

Let our Support Team check on this further.

It will be best if you can share a sample file with them.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej