Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Max Lens MOD does not fit

[ New ]

I've been trying for 2 days, trying to get the Max Lens Mod to fit. It turns 95% of the way but then it just won't budge. I feel like it is faulty, I've seen many youtube vids even the one on the GoPro page and everyone seems to easily screw it on. It must be broken or faulty. Can i return it?

Accepted Solutions
Sightseer

Re: Max Lens MOD does not fit

[ New ]
The solution which worked for me, and which I found in another post on this forum, was to apply greater pressure to push the lens into the camera body. Twisting harder didn’t help, but using my palm to push the lens onto the camera as I twisted really helped. I guess the internal tolerances of the locking mechanism are a fraction too tight, and some pressure to squeeze the two parts together is just enough to allow it to rotate fully,
After installing a couple of times it’s getting much easier. You’ll need the cleaning cloth to clean off the palm print left on the lens!

View solution in original post

Sightseer

[ New ]
Brizzlerich
You where right I was struggling to fit the max mod on trying to twist it in to position after reading your post it worked perfectly for me and dint have to use much force. So it’s quite simple using pressure of your palm push down on the lens and twist and boom it will lock in to position. Thanks

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

Check all the other similar threads, it will fit, but requires more force than you expect.  One guy even used an adjustable wrench to fit his!

Try holding the lens gripped all the way around with your thumb and forefinger of your dominant (I.e. strongest) hand encircling the lens, and then turn the camera body.  It will connect in the end.

Tourist

[ New ]

OMG if i have to use tools then theres something definitly wrong with. The manual says nothing about tools. I really believe these are faulty. Plus my hand is super cramped from trying to force it, specially my thumb. GoPro can i return my lens mod?

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm having the exact same issue. Did you figure it out? 

Tourist

[ New ]
Same problem here. Received my hero 9 with lens mod today and just you describe it. I can screw it around 95% into position. I will try with a wrench later at home ( had to use it with my old hero 6 also to replace the standart lens cover.) and see if that helps but I have my doubts.
Tourist

[ New ]

Me acaba de llegar la Max lens mod, y me pasa lo mismo , solo gira un 95%, y no encaja más, no creo que pueda forzarla mas. Habrá que devolverla, hay una anomalía, y viendo que hay más lentes así, será un defecto de construcción

Tourist

[ New ]
took a lot of brute strength and force but I eventually got it fitted.. definitely requires alot more force than you would expect.
Sightseer

[ New ]
The solution which worked for me, and which I found in another post on this forum, was to apply greater pressure to push the lens into the camera body. Twisting harder didn’t help, but using my palm to push the lens onto the camera as I twisted really helped. I guess the internal tolerances of the locking mechanism are a fraction too tight, and some pressure to squeeze the two parts together is just enough to allow it to rotate fully,
After installing a couple of times it’s getting much easier. You’ll need the cleaning cloth to clean off the palm print left on the lens!
Tourist

[ New ]

So at the end I tried also to push it as much as possible into the camera while trying to twist it. That way I managed maybe 1 or 2 mm but that wasn't enough. So i took a big enough wrench and together with the rubber case so I don't damage the mod twisted it into position. It was kinda difficult but I managed and after that try now I can use it without any tools.

Sightseer

Betreff: Max Lens MOD does not fit

[ New ]

Genau das gleiche Problem. Heute ist die Lieferung gekommen, ich war so froh und ich kanns einfach nicht zu 100% zudrehen. So viel Kraft augeübt und es tut alles schon weh und trotzem kein Ergebnis...

Tourist

[ New ]
Buenas tardes, hoy he vuelto a probar, apretando la lente con fuerza hacia la cámara y girando, al final ha encajado, si no se aprieta la lente contra la cámara con fuerza, no se acopla al 100%, cuesta un poco hacerlo bien. Pero al final entra
Sightseer

[ New ]
Brizzlerich
You where right I was struggling to fit the max mod on trying to twist it in to position after reading your post it worked perfectly for me and dint have to use much force. So it’s quite simple using pressure of your palm push down on the lens and twist and boom it will lock in to position. Thanks
Tourist

[ New ]

I had the same problems but put protective rubber shield on max lens and use little force it will click in

Tourist

[ New ]

I just got stung by this also! Ugh!

IMG_9208.jpgIMG_9210.jpgIMG_9212.jpg

Dunno if its just me, but on that first image the lens cutouts to not look truly aligned with each other.

But, above all GoPro, you need to get on your International vendor quality control!!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @davide16. Let our Support team know so they can advise you of the next steps. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue,it will only go on about 90% before it stops and also feels like metal grinding. i am going to contact customer service right now.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Son of a gun. It worked. I ordered a replacement and had the same issue of turning only 95%. I tried pushed the lens mod into the camera before twisting it, and that seemed to work for me. Thank you for the tip!
Nomad

[ New ]

Same issue on my cameras. I was able to use a strap wrench to get it on one of my cameras but that did not work for my other 2 cameras. Tolerance is too tight!!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Exact same issue here.  had to use a large pair of vice grips to get it the rest of the way.

Sightseer

[ New ]
All you have to do is push the max lens mod into the camera as hard as you can before you turn it. Hope this helps :)
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey, guys. I just got my Max Lens Mod today and, like you, it would only engage a solid 90-95%'ish before it felt like it locked up and wouldn't go any further (by hand). I tried pushing down as hard as I could, whilst turning, but to no avail. As with others here who were hesitant to take any handtools to their Hero9, especially something like channel locks, I was thinking, "Nope!" But, after reading several posts of people who had done just that with nary any negative results, I thought I'd give it a shot. And it worked! Perfectly! And with very little effort. I imagine the tolerances are so tight given that this is supposed to be a waterproof camera. My only advice would be to use a thick enough cloth between the Max Lens Mod and the channel locks so you don't mar the finish. The idea is to simply grip the mod, not crush it. Just take your time, use some common sense, and you'll be fine.

20210222_190432.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Well i contacted costumer service  about the issue and they are replacing my GoPro. It should be here 02/24 and i will see if the problem is fixed and post here with the verdict. I do not fill that you should have to use channel locks to change lenses on any camera.

Tourist

[ New ]
I agree. You shouldn't *have* to; however, as others have pointed out, and as I have also done, in a number of cases it's necessary if you want your Max Lens Mod to mount securely. While not ideal, it does work.
Tourist

[ New ]

I finally got it to work after trying this. It seems that pushing it together very hard before turning makes the difference. At least it did for me. I just got a Return Authorization too. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

Talked with customer service today and they said their engineers feel it is an issue with the camera and not the lens mod. I'm not sure how that could be seeing as the normal lens fits but I'm no engineer. I'll see how the replacement camera works when I get it in a few weeks.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Holy **bleep**, i was convinced that the lens was broken, i try to fit it with all my strength, so i had to turn to internet to see if anyone else had the same problem, this can not be right, you should not have to use tools to fit a lens to a camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree. You shouldn't *have* to but it does greatly aid in an uneventful installation. By "uneventful," I mean 'no (possible?) damage' to the lens/mount versus pressing down on the lens and or camera body with excessive force.

As one other person has mentioned, the application of an exceptionally small amount of (in his case) gun lubricant, made a very big difference for him. I'd toyed with a similar idea using some Teflon-added bike lubricant when I first got my Max lens mod; however, in the end, I chose to go with pliers and a thick towel (to avoid marring/damaging the lens's finish).

I concur fully that such extremes should not be necessary. I can only suppose such tight tolerances were necessary to retain the stated water resistance rating.