Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

Longer Thumbscrew when using Display Mod?

[ New ]

There are short and long standard GoPro thumbscrews. Is anyone aware of an even longer thumbscrew for when using the Display Mod?  Not the threaded part, but the handle part.  I'm using the traditional GoPro standard long thumbscrew.  But when tightening it hits the bottom of the Display Mod casing.  Please advise.

GoPro

Re: Longer Thumbscrew when using Display Mod?

[ New ]

Hello, @markdelo. Were you referring to the Media Mod? If so, make sure that the thumbscrew is inserted on the same side as the one-directional mic. See the attached image. The gap should provide enough space for the head of the thumbscrew. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, the Media Mod.  I was using that side due to the cut out area.  But it still hits and presses up against the bottom of the cam.  That's why I was wondering if there are longer ones available.

GoPro

[ New ]

@markdelo, the long thumbscrew will hit the bottom of the part of the Mod, but it should lock in securely. Is it too loose? You can provide us a photo or video so we can help look into it.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same question as the thread author.

Even though the media mod has an indentation to accomodate the head of the long standard thumb screw and they don't press/touch too much, we could use an even longer screw because once it is screwed tight, the head goes all the all in and it is not easily acessible to unscrew.

Does a longer than the standard long screw exist? If so, where can I get it? Thanks in advance!

Tourist

[ New ]

I'll add my voice for longer thumb screws especially for the Meda Mod for the Hero 9, please!

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes I’ve also been trawling online to see if there is any such thing but sadly doesn’t look like it yet. It is a pain trying to undo it or even tighten it sufficiently on my motorcycle helmet so that the wind doesn’t move it. I’ve been using a screwdriver.
Tourist

[ New ]
I am also looking for longer screw like maybe extra half inch. There is no way to use gopro9 orange floaty with surf or bodyboard mount in a sufficiently tight way. Using screwdriver has stripped phillips head in two sessions taking video.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the feedback, @robertc75712, @davep18, and @robovs. We will pass this along to the Product team. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Finally this topic got some love! We've been asking for this for six months now. It shouldn't be too complicated to make a lengthier thumscrew and it will facilitate our use of the camera by leaps and bounds!

Hiker

[ New ]

Yeah, me too. My finger tips are done, but don't lose hope. GoPro has a new accessory for that problem. Longnose pliars!

shopping.png
Sightseer

[ New ]
Yep, I'll join the queue - you don't want to have to carry around a screwdriver or allen key just to tighten the thing down. It needs to stick out so that the entire knurled part of the screw is clear of the housing.
Tourist

[ New ]
There is a manufacturer that makes a 47 mm GoPro 9 compatible aluminum screw that works with the orange floaty case. It leaves enough room to tighten easily by hand and finish tightening with a number 4 allen / bike tool wrench vs easily stripping GoPro standard phillips head tightening thumbscrew. This Nnekt screw made it easy to secure GoPro floaty in mount to board fast even with a broken thumb. Attaching pictures. Here is link to the company. I found one screw from a bodyboard store in Hawaii and got it in less than a week was about $22 including shipping. Used at La Jolla Shores this morning with ease vs grief 😀
https://shootknekt.com/product/gopro-screw-kls/
Hiker

[ New ]

@robertc75712 wrote:
There is a manufacturer that makes a 47 mm GoPro 9 compatible aluminum screw. (snip)

47mm is way too short - it needs to be 65mm.  I need one also.  I just finished a pretty thorough internet search (eBay, Amazon, etc) and I was shocked to learn that this guy doesn't exist.  There are a lot of people that are requesting this long thumbscrew to work better with the media mod - just look at this thread GoPro!

Tourist

[ New ]

I'll add my voice to this need for a longer thumbscrew.  65mm would be ideal.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'll chime in here as well voicing support for a longer thumb screw, specifically when using the Media Mod!

Tourist

[ New ]
Totally agree. Wake up GoPro and produce one. This is ridiculous.
Can’t screw the Media Mod on any stand correctly.
Tourist

[ New ]

Have GoPro resolved this issue yet? I am having the same problem with my 3BR Powersports Waterproof housing.

Tourist

[ New ]

I too want longer thumbscrews i can use the original thumb screws but i have to use and now carry a cross head screw driver. Pain in the butt when a 10mm longer screw would work just as well.

Tourist

[ New ]

I solved it, perfect use on the media module!

But first there must be a 3D printer.
Thanks to Mr. jelbuilder, the creator of the thingiverse website.

20210304_220037.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

20210303_194544.jpg
Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same issue with using the hero 9 and the floaty for kayaking, need a longer thumb screw!!  At present tightening pre trip with a screwdriver which is not best option.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Nice improvement. However, I am really disappointed in GoPro's lack of testing to assure all related accessories interfacing with a new product work as originally intended. If some do not, at least provide an alternative from the get go instead of relying on user to find issues.

The problem I have, in addition to the thumb scree being to short is, I cannot open the side door unless I back off the thumbscrew a few turns. Poor job GoPro

Sightseer

[ New ]
Also a massive problem with the floaty hero9 attachment for surfing... can’t tighten it enough and every wave pushes it straight down into the board very annoying... having to risk attaching without
Sightseer

[ New ]
Any traction to this? This is insane. Can someone just make a longer screw? Not only is it hard to tighten and loosen, the edges of the thumbscrew slightly tilt the camera as well when tight. Anyone have any suggestions? GoPro support? Please advise? Thank you.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

How can a big company like gopro forget to make a thumb screw for the medi mod's. 

The cycling industry make small aluminium parts so it would take much for them to turn out a thumb screw.