Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Explorer

Re: Karma grip disable gopro charging

Nothing to fix.
Tourist

Take the battery out of the camera.

It gives about 2 hours of 1080p 60fps, just imagine, what it could be without constantly charging the camera

Or start with a fully charged camera battery, then the Grip doesn't need to provide power to charge it.

This is the pain point, cause it' not working. Starting with fully changed battery gibes me about 30 minutes. Then the grip is off and the camera is still fully charged. I had a situation, where I put the grip with fully charged camera in the bag and drove about 2 hours. When I was at place, grip was 50% and the camera still 100%, so, I have about 15 minutes of stabilization, and then 100% charged camera but without stabilization.

For people who aren't carrying around extra camera batteries, how stupid would it be to have the Grip NOT provide power to the camera battery. If the camera battery dies but the Grip still has power, what good is it?

How stupid to buy the Grip for 350 Euro, where you are not able to swith the charging function off. You can have it, if you want and have a stabilization for 30 minutes, or you may switch it off and have, maybe, 3 hours. Is ti stupid?

Tourist

there should be the option to turn off the charging, as there is a lot of additional batteries for the camera and not for the grip. Grip should do its own job and not to charge the camera.
Explorer

Take the camera out of the Grip if you are traveling.

It's not going to change. Learn to adapt. Nothing to fix. There should be this, there should be that, .... quit griping or just purchase a different stabilizer.

Sorry, but that's the only answer.

Personally, I like that the Grip keeps the camera charged. I like that I can continue to use the camera another two hours after using the Grip. If the Grip was providing its own power and the camera was providing it's own, I'd end up with two devices without any power. No thank you.

Two hours of use with the stabilizer is way more than enough. Who in the world is recording for two continuous hours? What are you doing with all of that footage? Doesn't sound like the camera or stabilizer is the right solution for you. When not recording, turn off the stabilizer/camera. If you are traveling, remove the camera. This isn't that hard.
Tourist

It's not going to change. Learn to adapt. Nothing to fix. There should be this, there should be that, .... quit griping or just purchase a different stabilizer.

Exactly, therefore feedback on amazon for the people, who may not want to adapt to engineering issues.

Personally, I like that the Grip keeps the camera charged. I like that I can continue to use the camera another two hours after using the Grip. If the Grip was providing its own power and the camera was providing it's own, I'd end up with two devices without any power. No thank you.

No reason to argue. Noone suggested to make the grip without charging function, but it should be switcheable, if the life time from unchangeable battery raises from 30 mins to 3 hours.

Two hours of use with the stabilizer is way more than enough. Who in the world is recording for two continuous hours? What are you doing with all of that footage? Doesn't sound like the camera or stabilizer is the right solution for you. When not recording, turn off the stabilizer/camera. If you are traveling, remove the camera. This isn't that hard.

Maybe for you it is enough, but if you take the grip to the travel, I would say mountains, avery gram is important. And yes, GoPro is positioned as a travel cam. In this case 2 or 3 hours of capturing is a sensible difference. If you do not have such a use case - lucky you. But this is not a reason to argue with people, who see the potential for improvement.

Explorer

It's an action camera
Explorer

You can turn off the charging....turn off the Grip. Remove the camera....Don't use the Grip.

You don't have any idea how much longer the Grip battery would last if power was not supplied to the camera. But we do know that the camera battery would die before the Grip...which would of course be silly and bad engineering.
Tourist

denying the obvious things and don't listen to the customers is silly, yes. Grip should charge the camera OPTIONALLY.