Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Karma grip disable gopro charging

[ New ]

Since there is no answer to this issue, could you, please, update me with the latest news regarding this?

I have additional batteries for my GoPro and don't want to waste the battery of the Grip. There should be a way to disable camera charging by the grip. Is there any plans to fix it?

GoPro

Re: Karma grip disable gopro charging

[ New ]

Hi @voffka,

It is really designed to charge the camera using the grip to extend the battery life of the camera. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

But it is not smart, as was mentioned before (many times). For camera life extension we have battery replacement. And, as I can see, this request is not a new one. Also, there are so many reviews on youtube, mentioning this problem. Thought GoPro should do something about this

GoPro

[ New ]

I understand @voffka,

I already sent your feedback to our team. 

Thanks for raising that. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same issue for about 2 years, and there is no fix. I think, it is reasonable to place the appropriate feedback on amazon in order to prevent other people to buy this product. Already made this; please, make the same.
Explorer

[ New ]
Take the battery out of the camera.
Explorer

[ New ]
Or start with a fully charged camera battery, then the Grip doesn't need to provide power to charge it.
Explorer

[ New ]
For people who aren't carrying around extra camera batteries, how stupid would it be to have the Grip NOT provide power to the camera battery. If the camera battery dies but the Grip still has power, what good is it?
Explorer

[ New ]
Nothing to fix.
Tourist

[ New ]
Take the battery out of the camera.

It gives about 2 hours of 1080p 60fps, just imagine, what it could be without constantly charging the camera

Or start with a fully charged camera battery, then the Grip doesn't need to provide power to charge it.

This is the pain point, cause it' not working. Starting with fully changed battery gibes me about 30 minutes. Then the grip is off and the camera is still fully charged. I had a situation, where I put the grip with fully charged camera in the bag and drove about 2 hours. When I was at place, grip was 50% and the camera still 100%, so, I have about 15 minutes of stabilization, and then 100% charged camera but without stabilization.

For people who aren't carrying around extra camera batteries, how stupid would it be to have the Grip NOT provide power to the camera battery. If the camera battery dies but the Grip still has power, what good is it?

How stupid to buy the Grip for 350 Euro, where you are not able to swith the charging function off. You can have it, if you want and have a stabilization for 30 minutes, or you may switch it off and have, maybe, 3 hours. Is ti stupid?

Tourist

[ New ]
there should be the option to turn off the charging, as there is a lot of additional batteries for the camera and not for the grip. Grip should do its own job and not to charge the camera.
Explorer

[ New ]
Take the camera out of the Grip if you are traveling.

It's not going to change. Learn to adapt. Nothing to fix. There should be this, there should be that, .... quit griping or just purchase a different stabilizer.

Sorry, but that's the only answer.

Personally, I like that the Grip keeps the camera charged. I like that I can continue to use the camera another two hours after using the Grip. If the Grip was providing its own power and the camera was providing it's own, I'd end up with two devices without any power. No thank you.

Two hours of use with the stabilizer is way more than enough. Who in the world is recording for two continuous hours? What are you doing with all of that footage? Doesn't sound like the camera or stabilizer is the right solution for you. When not recording, turn off the stabilizer/camera. If you are traveling, remove the camera. This isn't that hard.
Tourist

[ New ]
It's not going to change. Learn to adapt. Nothing to fix. There should be this, there should be that, .... quit griping or just purchase a different stabilizer.

Exactly, therefore feedback on amazon for the people, who may not want to adapt to engineering issues.

Personally, I like that the Grip keeps the camera charged. I like that I can continue to use the camera another two hours after using the Grip. If the Grip was providing its own power and the camera was providing it's own, I'd end up with two devices without any power. No thank you.

No reason to argue. Noone suggested to make the grip without charging function, but it should be switcheable, if the life time from unchangeable battery raises from 30 mins to 3 hours.

Two hours of use with the stabilizer is way more than enough. Who in the world is recording for two continuous hours? What are you doing with all of that footage? Doesn't sound like the camera or stabilizer is the right solution for you. When not recording, turn off the stabilizer/camera. If you are traveling, remove the camera. This isn't that hard.

Maybe for you it is enough, but if you take the grip to the travel, I would say mountains, avery gram is important. And yes, GoPro is positioned as a travel cam. In this case 2 or 3 hours of capturing is a sensible difference. If you do not have such a use case - lucky you. But this is not a reason to argue with people, who see the potential for improvement.

Explorer

[ New ]
It's an action camera
Explorer

[ New ]
You can turn off the charging....turn off the Grip. Remove the camera....Don't use the Grip.

You don't have any idea how much longer the Grip battery would last if power was not supplied to the camera. But we do know that the camera battery would die before the Grip...which would of course be silly and bad engineering.
Tourist

[ New ]
denying the obvious things and don't listen to the customers is silly, yes. Grip should charge the camera OPTIONALLY.
Sightseer

[ New ]
I just recently purchased a Karma grip; I've been running into this same issue. It would be great if we could choose whether or not to have the Karma grip charge the GoPro camera. I have 3 spare batteries for my camera, and would love to be able toe extend the life of the grip by changing out the camera's battery when it is depleted.

I don't see a reason to not have both power options. It could be accessible by double-pressing the power button.

@jayr3438 could you verify with the team if this would even be possible to change with a firmware update?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mauriciow30620

We'll have this shared to the team in charge.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

@aragon1006 were you able to confirm with the team if this is a possibility, given the existing hardware? I don't mind waiting for the feature. But if it is not possible to implement due to a hardware limitation, I might have to consider returning the product.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mauriciow30620

Sorry but we do not have updates on this at this time.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi,

It *really* is frustrating. Last Saturday I was with Karma Grip + Hero7 black and I should stop filming since the Karma Grip battery was empty. Hero7 was full, as were the two hero7 batteries in my pocket...

🤦🏻‍♂️

Tourist

[ New ]

Try to remove battery from the camera. It game me at least 2 hours of filming.

But in any case , this is very bad solution from GoPro

Sightseer

[ New ]

@aragon1006: Is there a better way to stay updated with this feature request? It is very important to me.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mauriciow30620,

As long as you have GoPro App you'll be notified if there is new update for your device. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]
but we are trying to figure out any info regarding the plans for this issue. You promised to ask the team if it is possible to make it at all. So, please, provide us with some updates
Explorer

[ New ]
Doesn't work that way. If they release an update, they'll let you know. Highly doubtful they will be making any updates to the Karma Grip.