Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Karma Grip

[ New ]

Searching for awhile now and seem to get mixed responses.I have a Hero6 Black

Anyone have any luck with using a power bank or solar panel to charge the Karma Grip while recording?

Reason being is I a going on a hiking trip (3 days) that I want to do a time lapse for sections but also take quite a bit of regular video.  I was thinking of getting a solar panel and 2 power banks to keep swapping out to keep the Karma Grip topped off.

I know it affects the performance of the stabilzer, but for something like hiking would it still be able to work well enough?

If not I am contemplating selling the package and just getting a hero7 to make it easier (just worried the video footage might go off level)

GoPro

Re: Karma Grip

[ New ]

Hello @h00pla85

Even when there is a power source connected to the Karma Grip, it is not able to charge the camera when the camera is recording. You can still bring the power banks though for easy charging while you are hiking. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

I have seen youtube videos where they can still record while the gimbal is charging.  Not sure if the camera battery would also be charging at the same time, but would it not be possible to just alternate having the powerbank attached to the gimbal?

say the camera battery is draining as the gimbal is charging, once the camera battery is nearly dead, just unplug the karma from the powerbank, karma then starts charging the gopro?

GoPro

[ New ]

Haven't tried that @h00pla85,

We'll check that if it's possible. 

If you can try it as well that would help the community. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

I will try to get my hands on a power bank to test.  I was looking to buy one if it worked, otherwise I need to figure something else out, maybe another brand of gimbal and just charge the gopro and gimbal separately 

GoPro

[ New ]

Awesome! @h00pla85,

We'll let you know as well what will be the result after trying. 

Regards,

-jay 

Explorer

[ New ]
I plug my power bank into my Grip when doing long shoots and it extends the life.
Tourist

[ New ]

Does the camera battery still get charged?

What does the power bank output, 5v3a?