Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Nomad

Hero 9 with Feiyutech G6 compatible?

[ New ]

I was wondering if the Feiyutech G6 is compatible with the Hero 9, so i contacted Feiyutech. They said the maximum weight for the G6 is 130 grams, and the Hero9 is around 160 grams without accessoires.

So losing some weight ive 3d printed some PLA bracket for it, and placed some soft foam padding onto it.

image.png

When testing with the Hero 9, the bracket was verry loose, but gimbal was turning! The gimbal was unbalanced at that time, so it was vibrating alot, which caused the Hero9 move itself out of the bracket and causes even more problems.

So i had to look for an alternative. I knew now that the G6 could handle the weight of the Hero 9. So i checked my G6 carry box what accessoires were left in the box. There was an 48mm weight bracket in it.

The backplate was a bit to deep for the Hero 9. So if you placed the Hero 9 onto that, it would damage the lcd screen. So i putted some hard foam padding on the bracket, so the hero9 would sit a little heigher without damaging the lcd.

Now we had to test the front (thin) holder. This one need some soft padding from the top, so it dont dmg the front lcd or rubber sided case.

bracket padding

Bracket2

The included Feiyutech screws were to short, so i need some longer screws. I ordered on Amazon some m2.5 x 30mm hexagon screws.

These fitted perfectly.

final

If you dont want to damage the casing of the Hero9, you can place heatshrink around the screw and the holder which i did. Works great.

Ive made a video how it works in realtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLPrllCP2sM

And the most funny thing is, the FeiyuOn app which normally controls the camera, works with the hero 9 for like 80%. You can move the gimbal from the phone, you can start record, you can alter parameter settings.

A few months ago Feiyutech told me there have no interest into making G6 compatible for the Hero 9, but when i showed them all of this, they mind suddenly changed and showed it to their supervisor. So maybe making it compatible after all?

Hint: Its known that Feiyutech G6 and older gimbals can make motor noise, but if you place the Hero9 main microphone (on the right front) on the oppisite of the gimbal and you select Wind on in the Protune options, you wont hear the motors. Works verry verry smooth.

Using the widest bracket of the Feiyutech which you get included when you bought the G6. You need to put some foam on the bracket and some foam on the front ...
Hiker

Re: Hero 9 with Feiyutech G6 compatible?

[ New ]

Pure genius, well done! So if I understand correctly it should also be possible to fit the H9 to the WG2X with the longer screws...?

Nomad

[ New ]

Yes, if they have the same bracket (48mm wide).

Tourist

[ New ]

hello @oxize merci pour le partage ! 

Après un peu d'utilisation ca n'abime pas trop le moteur ? 

Moi qui pensait revendre le feiyu je vais commander les vis et suivre ton exemple du coup O.O bien envie de tester la 5k sans crop avec un stabilisateur matériel ! 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi oxize

Thanks for your post, I have considered buying a G6, but have not been able to find out why it could not run with GP9, that, you have now clarified THANK YOU Smiley Happy
On FeiyuTech's website I just found this answer:
"HI. Our G6 Adapter for GoPro 9 is now under sample production. And now we are working on the GoPro Hero 9 Control feature optimizing.
We will work hard to make the adaptation available asap "

Nomad

[ New ]

Ye, thats something which they added later, duo my contact with FT. The G6 can carry the Hero9 its full weight, clean. With clean i mean, no external microphones which add weight. I tried this with my Edutige ETM-001. It just add to much weight. If the counter balance had a littemore weight, it would be possible. You could try adding extra weight, but i think the motors are already topped out with the Hero9 alone.

So far, my motors didnt burn or stalled. Going well now. Wish i had all 100% function, but ye, i am already happy i dont have to buy a new Gimbal, and i really like the G6 with the Oled function and full metal rainproof casing.

Nomad

[ New ]
Hello @oxize Thank you for sharing ! 

After a little use it does not damage the engine too much? 

I who thought of reselling the feiyu I will order the screws and follow your example of the coup O.O well wish to test the 5k without crop with a hardware stabilizer! 

No, i am using it now for several times a week for 2 months long now. Never it had stalled, did weird things, or burned my motors. If the counterweight of the G6 (where the G6 text is) was a bit heavier, it could even carry an external microphone.