Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Hero 8 Black housing glass scratched and sand inside the buttons

[ New ]

Dear Sirs.

I received the housing for my Hero 8 Black two weeks ago after waiting one month for my order (not directly from GoPro).

First I got sand inside both buttons.

I tried to remove the buttons from the housing to clean them,

but the plastic is so thin that I'm afraid of breaking it.

Yesterday I scratched the glass of the housing when entering the water between the rocks.

I could easily remove the scratched glass from the housing.

I've been searching for a while now and I can not find a replacement glass, including the official GoPro web.

I purchased the official housing which is pretty expensive compared to the chinese clones to make sure that my camera is save,

especially taking into account that I can not remove the glass of the camera itself. I would have ruined my camera without the housing.

I would really appreciate to get a quick solution to be finally able to use my camera.

I also tried to write in the "contact us" section but messaging is disabled on weekends.

Kind regards,

Michael

GoPro

Re: Hero 8 Black housing glass scratched and sand inside the buttons

[ New ]

Hi @michaelx72

Let our Support Team take a look at what happened.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.
You may also try a different browser or go on incognito mode.

Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear Aragon.

I contacted GoPro in the ContactUs section and it worked pretty fine. I left my numer and after a few while the called me back.

Now started all the worries.

The guy on the telefone told me that I should check for the replacement lens of the rollcage wich is not fitting at all.

I send in the picture of the damaged housing as he asked me.

My friend has algo a Hero 8 and has water leaking in, using it just on surface, I add a picture.

I asked on the phone what would happen, if my camera would leak,

because since I can't use the underwater housing, I'm using the camera in the water above 10m as indicated.

He said that the guarantee will not cover leaking. I should pay 50€ for the suscription to get it covered and then I would also get a discount on a new housing.

Now I was waiting another two weeks and then I received an E-Mail telling me that they will close my case.

Today I called again and they told me that they are very sorry, the advice was to order the rollcage lens, and again,

WICH IS NOT FITTING.

After half an hour on the phone they told me that they can't help me and y should by a new housing.

Lets see.

I spend more thant 300€ on my hero 8 pack.

100€ on third party accesories

another 100€ on original accesories including the underwater housing.
I wanted to make sure that such a expensive camera wount get damaged.

On Ali Express, I can buy for less than 10€ a housing.

I purchased the original one to be on the save side and to be able to get spare parts.

Now I can throw away my housing, and my camera is unprotected and without warranty.

In case of leaking, I would have lost 400€ in less than two months.

I was very exited with GoPro, but all this is very very disappointing and frustrating.
It's not only that I did not got any solution, but I already lost so much time trying to solve this.

Right now I'll write also a complaint.

After so much hassle, I'll take it to the end.

You definitly los a customer today GoPro.

I should have bought the Insta360.

Good bye,
Michael

leaking gopro.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @michaelx72

If you have further questions or concerns about your case, it will be best to follow up with Support.

You may also check Warranty Information

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Dear Aragon.

Thank you for your quick response.

I'm sure that the GoPro lawyers made shure that you guys don't get into legal troubles.

The Support had no support, but worries and waiting.

Every time I come out of the water I'm checking if my camera might have leaked.
Tomorrow I'll go and spend another 50€ on a new housing, just to have my peace back.

And the day my camera dies, I'll save for an Insta360.

Everywhere is anounced that you don't need a housing anymore to take it into the water, but no one tells that you have to buy a new camera when it leaks.

On the box of the housing it says "lifetime warranty", sounds awesome, like a leatherman.
And one month later I don't even get the most important spare part. That is no lifetime warranty.

You know, I worked a lot of years as a salesman and there is something I don't understand about the todays company strategies.

You guys spend a hell of money for sponsorships and publicity to get new customers, but you don't care at all for the customers you have gained already. These people are already convinced of your products and are consuming them.

Be nice to them and they'll continue buying, it's that simple.

Thank you for your work and I hope I will never ever again have to rely on the GoPro support.

Good bye,
Michael