Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Hero 6 SD Card Error

[ New ]

GoPro Community:

I recently purchased two 128GB SanDisk Extreme UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) SD cards for my Hero 6. Both are currently receiving SD Card Errors upon inserting into the camera. Both SD cards have been formatted both via the camera and on the PC but nets the same result. Reading other threads, I have reset the camera to factory defaults, attempted to turn on the camera or insert the card in differing orders, etc. Still nothing.

For context, by Sandisk Extreme 32GB is working flawlessly. 

I am beyond frustrated as I have spent a few hours attempting to remedy this problem. A lot of money and time spent with no result. Any ideas?

GoPro

Re: Hero 6 SD Card Error

[ New ]

Hi @icekueb

It normally happens on SD cards higher than 64Gb. 

However that specific card should work. 

Try to reformat your SD card or try it on other device. 

It might be a defective SD card or compatibility issue. 

I would suggest to use lower than 128GB. 

Other way is to try to manually update your camera by installing a new firmware. 

Here's how: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero6-black

Make sure to follow manual update procedure. 

Tourist

[ New ]

graytree76514 - 

SD card works fine with my DSLR. I have reformatted both cards in my PC without issue. Just appears to be a GoPro problem.

I'll try the Firmware update path and see if that works.

However, if this is a known issue where higher capacities than 64GB have problems, GoPro should update their compatibility chart to state as such. I'm not in a situation where I cannot return these cards to store because it's over their return policy. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Good point you have there regarding the SD card compatibility and updating the chart, @icekueb. We will definitely relay the information to our Fusion team. Let us know it goes after you manually update the camera firmware. 

Thanks, 
Marius