Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 Session with Smart Remote gets hot and freezes

[ Edited ]

Hi There.

I have a new Hero 5 Session with Firmware 2.51 and a new Smart Remote (three button) with Firmware 1.1.0. When i connect both the Hero gets really hot at the front and after some minutes (only taking some photos) the lights at remote and camera begin to flash (the camara seems to shoot serial photos in the meantime) and the camera doesn't respond any more.

After forcing a poweroff and waiting for some time the camera is willing to pair again. The picture count is higher than when powering off.

The behavior seems to occur only with the Smart Remote. Not when controlled via the Smartphone App.

I reformatted the SD Card, the Card is a SanDisk 64GB V30 from the certified list.

I resetted the camera to factory defaults.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

WD

PS: Subjectively the battery drains very fast when runnig on the smart remote. But i didn't measure it thoroughly.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Session with Smart Remote gets hot and freezes

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the additional information, @quickpike51472. There is obviously a delay in communication between the Smart remote control and the camera. You can reset the remote by pressing and holding the Power/Mode button for about 8 to 10 seconds. The remote will then power off and can be powered back on. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hello @quickpike51472

Thank you for the details that you provided. It is odd for the camera to get hot and freeze only with the Smart remote control when both (app and remote) communicates with the camera in the same way. If you have not done it yet, try manually updating the camera, even if it may already have the latest firmware. This is to ensure that any possible error associated with the current installation will be cleared out. You can find the instructions below as guide: 

1. Go to the HERO5 Session update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

As you are using a recommended SD card, make sure that it is formatted prior to the update. It is also important that the camera is fully charged prior to the update process. Let us know how it works out on your end. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

Hello Marius.

Thanks for the reply.

I've done the suggested manual firmware flash already (sorry, i forgot to note).

I manually downloaded the firmware and flashed the camera from the card as discribed in the link.

It is really weird that the camera works with the app but not with the remote. I've double checked this tonight. WIth the remote it freezes every 10 to approximately 20 minutes, just with taking a picture now and then.

Connected to the app the camera (connected to power) persists a whole caming evening with my kids. It is not getting warm at all.

(The hot spot is at the front, at the lower side of the lens pretecting frame.)

At he moment the camera lies beside me, connected to the app and works cold als Clint Eastwood in "Unforgiven".

Is there a possibility t reset the remote to it's factory defaults or a maybe newer firmware?

Thanks for your help, best regards.

WD

Tourist

So i have a new hint.

I realised, that if i press the record-button at the Smart Remote very short the GoPro starts to flash fast in short bursts and seems to record serial shots. The Smart Remote flashes continuously but the couter of the displays of the remote neither the GoPro refreshes.

When i press the record button firmly for a longer time while this occures, the process stops, the counter shows the new value after a short delay.

It seems that if i don't realise this, the GoPro takes burst shots until it overheats.

Is this a configurable behaviour? A feature, not a bug? Is there a possibility to disable it.

The span between the short klick that starts the contiuous bursts and the recording of multiple photos if i press the button too long is very narrow:

Short klick: continuous bursts until it dies.

Medium klick (hard to hit): one photo.

Longer klick: multiple photos.

Thanks for any suggestion.

WD

GoPro

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the additional information, @quickpike51472. There is obviously a delay in communication between the Smart remote control and the camera. You can reset the remote by pressing and holding the Power/Mode button for about 8 to 10 seconds. The remote will then power off and can be powered back on. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!