Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 4+ external mic ordeal (impossible to connect an external mic)

[ Edited ]

Short: I want to connect an external mic to my Hero4+, but GoPro no longer sells the adapter and i can not find it on the internet. Can somebody please tell me where i can get help, or maybe can hint me in the right direction, so i can solder my own adapter? I made the mistake to buy a Hero4+ Not knowing GoPro would switch to USB-C soon, i bought this camera which seems to be the only one in the family that has a micro-USB port. Models before that one have mini-USB, those that come after have USB-C. So you can imagine, that it is impossible to get ahold of an adapter, let alone search for help on goolge. I bought some noname adapter, that i could find on amazon, but it does not seem to work. I really need to connect an external mic to that camera, my future depends on it.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 4+ external mic ordeal (impossible to connect an external mic)

Hello @whatdoyoun423

You may contact our Support team so they can look into options for you. You can reach them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]

Which camera do you have? The Hero4 Silver/Black have a Mini-USB. The Hero4 Session has the Micro-USB but isn't compatible with external mics.

Highlighted
Explorer

If you have a Hero4 Silver/Black, this is the adapter you need https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-3-5mm-Adapter-Official-Accessory/dp/B00A3MY7L8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

HERO cameras (HERO (2018), HERO (2014), HERO+, HERO+LCD) and HERO4 Session do not have compatibility with external microphones.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

NO!

This is the WRONG adapter.

It is an ordeal because every gopro before the 4+ has mini-USB (NOT micro-USB like the 4+ does)

mini_vs_micro.jpg

Every GoPro that came after it has USB-C

I almost bought that adapter for a whopping 60 bucks....

Highlighted
Explorer

First, there is no such camera as the Hero4+. What camera, specifically do you have? There are only two GoPro adapters. The one with mini-USB and one with USB-C.

The adapter is the correct one for Hero4 Silver and Hero4 Black (it also works for the Hero3+ and Hero3 cameras).

HERO cameras (HERO (2018), HERO (2014), HERO+, HERO+LCD) and HERO4 Session do not have compatibility with external microphones.

I suspect that you have the budget Hero+ and not a Hero4. If you have the Hero+, it is not compatible with external microphones.