Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

HERO9 Black with Media Mod no audio from external line in while powered by USB-C (no battery)

[ New ]

I am trying to use a nice condenser microphone I have for audio during long video conferences using the HERO9 Black with Media Mod as my webcam.  

The condenser microphone is plugged into an SSL 2+ audio interface (to supply the +48V phantom power required for the mic to operate), and the balanced monitor output from the audio interface is connected to the Media Mod's 3.5mm mic port with a TRS plug.  

The "Mods" setting in the Camera Preferences menu offers Standard Mic, Standard Mic+, Powered Mic, Powered Mic+, and Line In as audio source level / impedance options to choose from.  When the camera is running on battery power, Line In is the only Mods option that achieves clean audio; all other options produce varying degrees of noise or no signal at all.  

The surprise:  When the camera is running on USB-C power (no battery installed) in order to avoid video interuption every time the battery needs to be replaced, Line In results in no sound, and all the other Mods options again produce varying degrees of noise or no signal at all.  

Ultimately I need to figure out how to achieve high quality synced audio for video conferencing over time ranges greater than a battery charge can supply.  

Can anyone help me understand why external audio isn't working for Line In only when the camera is powered by USB-C, or else suggest a fix that utilizes my current equipment in a different way?  

Thanks!  

GoPro

Re: HERO9 Black with Media Mod no audio from external line in while powered by USB-C (no battery)

[ New ]

Hi @zippyflare53237

Is this only observed when the camera is used as a webcam?

Do you observe the same when doing a regular recording?

Thanks!

Ej