Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Hiker

Gopro mic adapter and usb c extension cable

Hi, i want to use my gopro with an external mic,  So using the mic adapter i wanted to put an extension cable between the mic adapter the hero6 so that the mic adapter is in my pocket.  I can also put in my pocket a power pack which will extend the battery life of my gopro.  Will this work?

Thanks,

Rob

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Gopro mic adapter and usb c extension cable

[ Edited ]

Also if its a yes, whats the longest cable i can use and what specification does it need to be? 

Highlighted
Hiker

So i guess no one knows at gopro then?!!!!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @robb733

Apologies for the delayed response. The mic adapter that we have is designed to be used as connected directly to the GoPro camera. Since the adapter uses the same port as the charger, it would not be possible to charge the camera and use the adapter at the same time. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi Marius,

Thanks for the reply.  Whilst waiting for your reply i ordered a usb type c extension cable from amazon and tried it.  It worked!!  As long as i plugged it in a certain way.  Sound and charging worked ok.  However, having tried it a few times subsequently sometimes it didnt work properly and there was no sound but there was charging. Turning off "quick start" helped a lot...

Will go pro offer an extension lead in the future? This is an ideal way of getting the mic adapter out of the way from the camera, which would then make for a much easier and cleaner way of using an external mic with charging, This would be better than having the mic adapter "dangling" around the camera putting a strain on the usb port....

Thanks, 

Rob

Highlighted
Explorer

@robb733

Thanks for updating with your findings.  You have a good suggestion for the extension lead.  The best place to leave this type of feedback is here https://gopro.com/feedback

Highlighted
Tourist
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@robb733, what cable did you buy?

I have bought 2 USB-C extension cables, and neither work reliable (one never, one barely ever):

There is a thread (https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Weird-Hero-5-Mic-adapter-USB-C-extender-cable-does-not-work/t...) that says this one is confirmed to work:

Pv

Highlighted
Sightseer

I purchased the 90 degree extension that you list as "rarely".  Was there a plugin order that you found to get it to work reliably at all?

I've broken 2 microphone adapters by having them plugged directly into my session and I'm looking for a cheaper cable to act as a buffer between the camera and the microphone adapter.

Does GoPro have any recommendations about what features the extender needs in order to work reliably?

As a side note, I had to roll back the latest update to my session in order to get the one touch recording to work with the external microphone reliably.