Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro took a hit, MicroSD no longer works! :(

Hi!

During a trip to Costa Rica a couple weeks ago, my 10yr old son took a tumble down a hill and whacked the snot out of a GoPro Session. When he handed it back to me, it said “NO SIM”. I took the card out, put it back in, same result. So I restarted the GoPro and the message changed to “BUSY”. Fearing it might be reformatting, I turned the GoPro off and brought it home.

When I got home, I plugged the Session in via USB and tried to mount it to a MacBook. Quik recognized the Session, but said no SIM. So I took the SIM out, stuck it in a reader, and plugged it in... no dice. I opened Disk Utility, still couldn't find it. So I swapped out the card (SanDisk Extreme 64gb) with it's twin (purchased at the same time, right before the trip) and that one mounted just fine. 

When I put the twin card into the Session, the camera worked just fine. Despite the hit that the camera took, it appears to be working fine.

I put the card into my Sony NEX and nothing happened. When I put the twin in, the NEX recognized it immediately.

I then tried mounting the card in two different PC laptops. Both laptops could see the twin, but not the problem card. My hope was that maybe the drive letter had been erased and I could just assign a new one. But the damaged card simply didn't show. :(

Btw, one other thing I tried was cleaning the contacts (several times).

Anyway, I'm dying here! We spent 8 days on holiday, the accident happened on the last day. About 80% of our pictures and 90% of the videos are on that card.

Have you ever heard of something like this happening? Any thoughts you may have, or suggestions on things I can try, would be *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro took a hit, MicroSD no longer works! :(

@mikem5017, sorry to hear about what happened. Unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data. However, you may be able to perform a Google search to find various data recovery options to recover the footage that had been lost. Yet, please do your research on whichever data recovery software is best for you as it may require activation of the software and there may be varying costs.

Since this is certainly not normal for one specific SD card to be undetected by the camera or computer, we recommend reaching out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card

Highlighted
Tourist

@aenriquez: I hadn't thought of going to the mfg, I will do that today. But I'm not holding my breath!

I did download a couple data recovering softwares that offered trial modes, but neither could see the card. Problem is that I can't mount the card so the software can't find anything to rescue. Both of those trials were done on a Mac, I may try on a PC today. 

Thanks for your thoughts!

Highlighted
Tourist

Wanted to mention that, after posting yesterday, I found a thread that suggested maybe the contacts weren't physically connecting. So I cut a thin strip from a plastic business card and wedged in at the back as I slid the SD card into the reader, attempting to add mechanical pressure to force a better union.

This didn't help me, but it did help others in that thread so I thought I'd share it here in case anybody else stumbles in later with a similar problem. Maybe that will help them?

Highlighted
GoPro

@mikem5017, thank you so much for the info. Let us know if anything else comes up. Stay stoked & have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!