Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Sightseer

GoPro remote has died

De-stoked 😵 after a few days of fun in the sea with my GoPro and remote, tried to charge the remote tonight and nothing happens, trying to switch the remote on... It's dead. No screen activity, no lights, nothing. I don't think it's out of charge as it was about half empty when I switched it off. I've tried the button press reset fix but nothing happens, also tried cleaning the remotes contacts, still nothing.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro remote has died

Hi @jongotham76

Sorry to hear about what happened. Please go over these troubleshooting steps to try to power the Smart Remote again.

1. Press and hold the Power button on the Remote for at least 8 seconds.
  2. The Remote will prompt the user on the LCD screen to Reset or Cancel.
  3. Use the Shutter button on the Remote to select Reset, then select Yes if prompted.
  4. Use the steps in https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/How-to-Pair-Your-Camera-with-Your-Smart-Remote to your camera(s).

In addition to this, please try using a different USB port on the computer to charge the remote.  If possible, use a USB port on the back of the computer since those are typically more reliable than other USB ports.  You can also try using a USB wall charger that outputs 5V and 1A if one is available.  Please verify that the Wall Charge is 5V 1A or less.  Anything else does have the possibility of damaging the remote. 

The remote should reach a full charge in 4 hours if using the computer and 2 hours if using the wall charger. When charging is complete it's important to ensure that you disconnect the remote from the charging source.

Thank you for making sure that the contact points are free of dirt and debris.  Use a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol or a toothpick to clean the metal contacts on the bottom of the remote as a troubleshooting step.

This should clear things up for you. Feel free to post back for updates.

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi, thanks for this, but I've tried all these suggestions and I'm getting nothing from the remote. 😞
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for going through the suggested steps, @jongotham76 . The next step then is to get in touch with our Support team. Please call or chat with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs so they can further assist. Best regards!