Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro remote doesn't charge? Or does it? Anyway, what's going on?

[ Edited ]

I have a brand new GoPro remote, which is paired to a GoPro 8 Black.

When I received the remote, I connected it to a charger and successfully charged it. Then I paired to the camera. It worked well for a couple of days on that initial charge.

But yesterday, when I turned on the remote, it displayed a "Remote battery" screen with a battery symbol with just one segment in it. It refused to do anything else. I assumed that the remote complained about low charge. It was strange that it refused to proceed past that "low charge" screen, but I thought that maybe the charge was so low that it just couldn't do anything else.

I connected it to a charger. The remote began to charge as usual: the screen on the remote showed the standard "charging" animation. Everything looked normal. After several hours of charging I disconnected the remote from the charger and attempted to turn it on again. It turned on, and displayed the same screen with a battery symbol with just one segment of "charge" on it. As if it didn't not recharge at all. It refused to do anything else: it was just stuck at that battery symbol screen.

So, I connected it to a charger again. This time I kept it connected overnight. Agaian, it was happily displaying the "charging" animation. This morning I tried to turn it on again, and again it displayed a battery symbol with just one segment of "charge" on it and refused to proceed any further.

What's going on here? Why is it not charging? And if it is actually charging, then why does it get stuck at that battery symbol every time?

GoPro

Re: GoPro remote doesn't charge? Or does it? Anyway, what's going on?

@andreyt2627, sorry to hear about the trouble. First, make sure that the Smart Remote is powered off. Next, try using a different USB port on your computer to charge your remote. If possible, use a USB port on the back of your computer. You can also try using a USB wall charger that outputs 5V 1A if you have one.

If you have already been using a wall charger, please try a different one so that we can determine if the adapter itself is having trouble or not.

The remote should reach a full charge within 4 hours if you use the computer, and about 2 hours if you use the wall charger. When the remote is done charging the red light will turn off, and in some cases, it will turn on and show a radiating Wi-Fi symbol. If you see this symbol be sure to disconnect it from the charger and power it off.

Lastly, if the contact points on the remote are dirty from use it can disrupt the connection and inhibit the remote's ability to charge. Be sure that those contact points are free of dirt and debris by using a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol or a toothpick to clean the metal contacts on the bottom of the remote.

These steps should sort everything out, but please let me know if you have any other questions or trouble. 

Explorer

Most likely the Remote was not turned off before charging. Hopefully turning it off will allow for a full charge. If you continue to have issues, reset the remote by turning it on and then holding down the Power/Mode button for 8-10 seconds. It should reboot. After doing this, make sure it is powered off and then plug it into the charger.
Hiker

[ Edited ]

(I was using two different wall chargers and also switched to charging from a computer USB port. It made no difference.)

After several attempts I was finally able to complete the charge of the remote. The icon changed to "full battery". Howerver, at that point the remote simply froze. It did not react to any keypresses. I had to do the long-press routine to revive it. It seemed to power up normally afterwards.

However, this remote definitely freezes a lot. Every time I use it, it always eventually freezes to an unresponsive state (with some pocture on the screen) and has to be "revived" by a long-press reset procedure.

Every time I use the remote with my camera during a bycicle ride, about 15-20 minutes into the session the remote suddenly loses connection with the camera and begins displaying that animated "WiFi" symbol. It never manages to re-establish connection to the camera.

* If I notice this and power cycle the remote, it usually re-connects to the camera.

* If I fail to notice this, the remote eventually freezes dead with that "WiFi" symbol frozen in some intermediate state. Afterwards it has to be reset using the long-press routine.

Basically, out of about 15 rides I made so far with this new remote (about 30 minutes per ride), only about 2 rides ended with the remote still working properly. In all other cases, at the end of the ride I found that at some point the remote has frozen and became unresponsive.

Hiker

Again, tonight. 30 minute ride. I remember that at about 20 minute mark the remote screen looked fine. But by the time I finished it looked like this: completely unresponsive with a partial "WiFi" icon stuck on the screen

DSC_0094.JPG

Sightseer

I have the same problem except after purchasing the waterproof remote, it never charged nor turned on to pair.  

GoPro

Hi @royalshore6847

Sorry to know that you're having problem with your remote. 

I would suggest to return that remote since it looks like its defective. 

You can also contact GoPro customer support for assistance.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

-jay