Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

GoPro Smart Remote - Does it Work at 5GHz?

[ New ]

I have a more detailed writeup of issues I'm having with my Hero7 Black + GoPro SmartRemote + GoPro 3.5mm Audio Adapter system here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/7-GoPro-Bugs-That-Are-Killing-My-Productivity-Hero7-Black-Sma...

My specific question for this thread is I have both my GoPro Hero7 Black cameras set to 5GHz only.  I pair them with my GoPro Smart Remote just fine.  I assumed all along that that meant everything was working at 5 GHz not 2.4 GHz.  But, as you can see in the detailed writeup,  Bug/Issue #3 is that the Smart Remote loses connection to a the camera that I have a GoPro 3.5mm Audio Adapter + the Rode Wireless Go Receiver connected to.  I am suspecting interference from the Rode Wireless Go system but scratching my head as to how that can be since it operates at 2.4 GHz and my GoPros are set to 5 GHz only.

Is it true that the GoPro Smart Remote only works at 2.4GHz and when it somehow connects to my Hero7 Blacks that are set to 5GHz only, it puts them in 2.4 GHz mode anyway?  Without alerting the user?  Ignoring the setting on the Hero7's altogether?

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: GoPro Smart Remote - Does it Work at 5GHz?

[ New ]

Here's the answer I received after the chat support mentioned that they'd email me after they do all of the research....

On Jun 1, 2020, at 3:04 PM, support@gopro.com wrote:
Hi, 

Good day! Thank you for contacting GoPro Support.

Sending you an email for updates as discussed in chat. This is to confirm that Smart Remote's WiFi frequency is at 2.4GHz.

Hope you have a good day ahead! Stay safe.

Best,

Jane A.
gopro.com/help

ref:_00Do0HJuF._5003b1RIo4n:ref

So, the answer to the question in the title is a clear NO from GoPro.  Which tells me that the camera must broadcast on both frequencies when you select 5GHz.  It also tells me that the GoPro Smart Remote can experience connection issues if the camera is set to 5GHz.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

I still don't know if the GoPro Smart Remote works at 5GHz, it seems like the hardware is capable of that.  However, I have proven based on a response on another thread that it is far more solid if the Hero7s are set to 2.4 GHz.  And even with that setting, it seems that there is no interference with the Rode Wireless Go!  Just wanted to give a quick update....but I'm still looking for confirmation that the Smart Remote does officially support 5GHz.

Hiker

[ New ]

Here's the answer I received after the chat support mentioned that they'd email me after they do all of the research....

On Jun 1, 2020, at 3:04 PM, support@gopro.com wrote:
Hi, 

Good day! Thank you for contacting GoPro Support.

Sending you an email for updates as discussed in chat. This is to confirm that Smart Remote's WiFi frequency is at 2.4GHz.

Hope you have a good day ahead! Stay safe.

Best,

Jane A.
gopro.com/help

ref:_00Do0HJuF._5003b1RIo4n:ref

So, the answer to the question in the title is a clear NO from GoPro.  Which tells me that the camera must broadcast on both frequencies when you select 5GHz.  It also tells me that the GoPro Smart Remote can experience connection issues if the camera is set to 5GHz.