Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Sleeve and Mounts

I am looking to get a GoPro and I have a few questions... 

If I get the Sleeve and Lanyard would I have to remove it every time I wanted to mount it on a helmet or chest bracket? 

For Snorkeling would I need to get the Super Suit? Pros and Cons? 

Is there a must-have accessory? 

I am looking at getting the Hero 7 Black, would it be worth it to wait for the 8 to be released (I don't need it until Jan 2020) But I would like time to play and understand it first. 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GoPro Sleeve and Mounts

If I get the Sleeve and Lanyard would I have to remove it every time I wanted to mount it on a helmet or chest bracket?

YES

NO.
You only need the SuperSuit if you are diving below 10m (33feet). However, using the SuperSuit does offer more protection and also prevents water pressure from pushing in on the buttons. Although the camera is waterproof to 33ft, once you get down below 15 feet water pressure can begin to give you issues with camera control.

YES, a tested SD card https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations#list1

Otherwise, this really depends on the situation and how you plan to use it. For just casual/vlogging type use, the Shorty or the Fusion Grip are awesome. Of course, the 3-way gives you more flexibility in angling the mount. Personally, I use the Shorty almost daily.

If you are snorkeling, the only "Must Have" is the Floaty so you don't lose the camera in case it gets dropped.

The Chest Mount and Hat clip are great for hands free recording.

The Karma Grip is awesome for low light recording when the internal stabilization from the camera gets reduced to prevent motion blur.

IMO, the absolute BEST accessory and deal you can get is the Clearance Karma System for $299. With this you get the Karma drone, Controller, Backpack, mounting ring, battery charger, and the Karma Grip (which normally sells for $299 by itself). With this system you basically get the drone for free. https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-3/refurbished-karma-drone/QKWXX-K01.html I've been flying the Karma drone since it came out and it's an awesome way to get incredible shots with your GoPro.

Would it be worth it to wait for the 8 to be released?

Hard to say. While we expect that GoPro will release a new HERO at the end of September beginning of October, there is no guarantee that this will happen. It's very possible that they will release a new 360 camera and a differently designed "vlogging" travel camera instead of another action camera. While GoPro does do extensive testing, just like with any camera, it usually takes a few months after release for all the bugs to get worked out and the firmware fully updated. The HERO7 Black might get another update, but it's pretty much matured at this point and works great. It really comes down to if there are features you want that the HERO7 Black doesn't do and whether or not you think you need to wait to see if those features arrive in the HERO8.

As far as understanding the camera, it's good to have several months playing around with the different settings to find out what works best for you in different situations. You should check out this post to learn a little more (be sure to follow the links to Abe Kislevitz site to learn more). https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Gopro-Hero-7-Black-Recommended-Settings/m-p/278443#/M80959

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GoPro Sleeve and Mounts

YES

NO.
You only need the SuperSuit if you are diving below 10m (33feet). However, using the SuperSuit does offer more protection and also prevents water pressure from pushing in on the buttons. Although the camera is waterproof to 33ft, once you get down below 15 feet water pressure can begin to give you issues with camera control.

YES, a tested SD card https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations#list1

Otherwise, this really depends on the situation and how you plan to use it. For just casual/vlogging type use, the Shorty or the Fusion Grip are awesome. Of course, the 3-way gives you more flexibility in angling the mount. Personally, I use the Shorty almost daily.

If you are snorkeling, the only "Must Have" is the Floaty so you don't lose the camera in case it gets dropped.

The Chest Mount and Hat clip are great for hands free recording.

The Karma Grip is awesome for low light recording when the internal stabilization from the camera gets reduced to prevent motion blur.

IMO, the absolute BEST accessory and deal you can get is the Clearance Karma System for $299. With this you get the Karma drone, Controller, Backpack, mounting ring, battery charger, and the Karma Grip (which normally sells for $299 by itself). With this system you basically get the drone for free. https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-3/refurbished-karma-drone/QKWXX-K01.html I've been flying the Karma drone since it came out and it's an awesome way to get incredible shots with your GoPro.

Would it be worth it to wait for the 8 to be released?

Hard to say. While we expect that GoPro will release a new HERO at the end of September beginning of October, there is no guarantee that this will happen. It's very possible that they will release a new 360 camera and a differently designed "vlogging" travel camera instead of another action camera. While GoPro does do extensive testing, just like with any camera, it usually takes a few months after release for all the bugs to get worked out and the firmware fully updated. The HERO7 Black might get another update, but it's pretty much matured at this point and works great. It really comes down to if there are features you want that the HERO7 Black doesn't do and whether or not you think you need to wait to see if those features arrive in the HERO8.

As far as understanding the camera, it's good to have several months playing around with the different settings to find out what works best for you in different situations. You should check out this post to learn a little more (be sure to follow the links to Abe Kislevitz site to learn more). https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Gopro-Hero-7-Black-Recommended-Settings/m-p/278443#/M80959