Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

GoPro Dual Battery Charger: What does it mean when the light goes OFF? (Not green or amber)

[ New ]

Hello I have a Hero 7 Black with four(4) batteries, I also have the dual charger and the supercharger. All of this is less than a year old but the extra batteries and chargers were purchased at Best Buy on January 21st 2019, the GoPro itself was ordered off GoPro.com 

The batteries and chargers are all GroPro brand, no aftermarket items. 

After heavy use on a vacation, ONE of the four batteries no longer turns green in the dual charger. I put the battery in, it starts out with an amber/yellow indicator, then after several hours the indicator light simply goes OFF. Not green, and doesn't stay amber, the light turns completely OFF for that slot. 

This happens for this one battery out of the four and it doesn't matter which slot I use. I can charge other batteries in both slots and they turn from amber to green. Is this particular battery defective? It shows 100% when I plug it into my camera but then why does the dual charger not show it as green? 

Full disclosure, I know one of these batteries got run all the way down to 1% when we were taking some video at a lake, but it still shut down properly (the camera did not die, I turned it off and replaced the battery). I can't say for sure if this is the particular battery giving me the issues, it is impossible to keep track of four identical batteries. 

So what do I do now? The manual for the dual charger does not describe what it means when an indicator light goes OFF. Is this battery damaged? Is it covered under warranty since it is less than a year old? 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Dual Battery Charger: What does it mean when the light goes OFF? (Not green or amber)

[ New ]

Hi @arudlang

This is a bit odd.

How does it behave when the battery is charged on the camera?

Does the light go off once completely charged?

Based on the tests you have tried, it appears that the issue is on the battery considering the same is observed when using either of the charging slots.

And the indicator lights work fine with other batteries.

You may reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs    

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: GoPro Dual Battery Charger: What does it mean when the light goes OFF? (Not green or amber)

[ New ]

Hi @arudlang

This is a bit odd.

How does it behave when the battery is charged on the camera?

Does the light go off once completely charged?

Based on the tests you have tried, it appears that the issue is on the battery considering the same is observed when using either of the charging slots.

And the indicator lights work fine with other batteries.

You may reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs    

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Well go figure, it had been repeating that behavior for days hence I posted about it but after running it down to 90% in the camera and putting it back in the toaster it went amber for a while then turned green. So, maybe that battery is OK. 

I'm guessing that even though this behavior of the toaster charger is not described it makes sense that it will try for X number of hours to charge a battery and if it doesn't get to the threshold voltage for the green status then it just turns off and quits trying in that slot. Would be nice if GoPro could confirm this and put it in the manual but not really a big deal. 

I won't really get much chance to monitor this since our vacation is done I won't be using the camera much for a while. Lets call it resolved.