Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

GOPRO tempered glass lens protector on hero 8 "how to remove"

How can I remove the tempered glass lens protector.  It just cracked, thinking heat related because I didn't drop it.  I purchased the gopro brand, luckily it came with two.  But i don't know how to get it off. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GOPRO tempered glass lens protector on hero 8 "how to remove"

SOLUTION:  I carefully covered the tempered glass protective lens with cellophane tape to ensure cracked glass adhered while being careful not to press it onto the camera's builtin glass, next i wrapped the camera in a towel exposing only tempered glass area.  I heated the cover using a "hotel" blow dryer on high setting. I only held over the taped area for a few seconds, i repeated this a couple of times. Lastly, I used a credit card (and my nail) to gently pry around the edge of the protective tempered glass and easily removed the protective lens. The darn thing did what it was supposed to do... not a scratch on my camera. 

GoPro kit came with two so luckily I brought it with me on my trip. HIGHLY recommend this product. My only issue is it doesn't come with instructions on how to replace a cracked screen. I think I will order a protective case that is mountable and provides easy access for battery swaps.  I already purchased GoPro's rubber case with lanyard but it doesn't have access to battery for quick swap out and protection is limited.  

I do like the camera's capability.  CON: Battery life short.  Quik Desktop doesn't work and GOPRO mobile application is very limited. GOPRO as a novice user, I really think you can up your game with more functionality on the Windows 10 desktop.  There needs to be a good free version app for novice users.  If I am missing something, let me know.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for sharing your solution, @han5162. Users having the same issue will be helped by your detailed description. 

We appreciate the feedback regarding the desktop application. While some functions of cameras may work with Quik for desktop, we have not provided any updates to the program prior to the release of the HERO8 Black and therefore we are unable to determine what features will work and what consistency you may get with HERO8 and MAX cameras. Our team is working on a new application but we do not have any update on it yet. In the meantime, you may explore other programs that can be used to view and edit your GoPro footage. 

A short record time test will determine battery integrity. The steps here will guide you. This will help ensure that your camera is running smoothly. 

What seems to be the issue with the GoPro App? Are there particular features or functions that could be missing? 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the response. I will reply with a detailed response once i return from my trip. In short, i was unable to transfer my media to my laptop running Windows 10 64bit Home with latest updates on laptop and Hero 8. Within GoPRO Hero8 the user is forced to sign up for a trial with GoPro Plus. I may eventually do this but i think it would be advantageous for GoPro to automatically out the box provide a sandbox for users to appreciate how it works. When spave is deplwted then user should have option to buy more space or export to other platforms.