Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

GOPRO WE DESERVE THE TRUTH ABOUT THE MIC ADAPTER

[ New ]

Dear GoPro,

What is the truth about the GoPro Microphone Adapter ???  The people deserve to know, you can not force paying customers to use a proprietary device and then not have that device in stock or discontiue it.  A simple communucation would go a long way...  Are you making more adapters? If so, when will they be available? Has the adapter been discontinued?  Is there a new adapter in the works? If so, when will it be availalbe?  Break the silence and give us something!!!!   

Ideally, you should release a firmware update to allow third party USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapters to work with the Gopro, even if it is a temporaryt fix, but I would assume that greed will prevent that from happening.    I bought the new Hero 7 Black to record and document the birth and life of my first child due in May 2019. If I would have know that I would be stuck with awful onboard Gopro audio I would have bought a different camera.   I've been a longtime GoPro users and supporter, but you are making easy for me question my brand loyalty.   

Regards,

Tom 

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: GOPRO WE DESERVE THE TRUTH ABOUT THE MIC ADAPTER

[ New ]

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

@thomasp2348 wrote: 

Dear GoPro,

What is the truth about the GoPro Microphone Adapter ???  The people deserve to know, you can not force paying customers to use a proprietary device and then not have that device in stock or discontiue it.  A simple communucation would go a long way...  Are you making more adapters? If so, when will they be available? Has the adapter been discontinued?  Is there a new adapter in the works? If so, when will it be availalbe?  Break the silence and give us something!!!!   

Ideally, you should release a firmware update to allow third party USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapters to work with the Gopro, even if it is a temporaryt fix, but I would assume that greed will prevent that from happening.    I bought the new Hero 7 Black to record and document the birth and life of my first child due in May 2019. If I would have know that I would be stuck with awful onboard Gopro audio I would have bought a different camera.   I've been a longtime GoPro users and supporter, but you are making easy for me question my brand loyalty.   

Regards,

Tom 

@aragon1006 

@aenriquez 

@mariustanya 

Hiker

[ New ]

Does anyone from GoPro have anything to share??  

@aragon1006 

@aenriquez 

@mariustanya 

Anyone else think we deserve some real info???  

@luis1223 

@adamw112 

@chrisduke 
@mapaco 
@teachusmor76140 
@josefh3484 
@pequenobuda 
@rapidbluff46710 

Tourist

[ New ]

The problem with the mic adapter is that it is not usable for streaming video.

The WiFi interference noise is so loud that the recorded audio can't be used.

You can just use it for record audio with WiFi off.

Tourist

[ New ]

@dccr68 @thomasp2348 My frustration in this matter is the complete lack of an escalation matrix when we're not getting a reasonable transparent response from GoPro. 

We have all invested a lot of money only to get accessories that are handicapped, unavailable or don't function as intended. Not only that but it's not like we can just take the action cams back, because there's no actual issue with the camera itself... it's the poor interaction with or unavailability of the accessory that you're forced to use. 

Hiker

[ New ]
@dccr68 Thanks for responding. So what your telling me is that even if I could get my hands on a GoPro mic adapter.... I’d still be disappointed??

@clawzskunk I feel your frustration, my biggest complaint is the lack of information being supplied by GoPro. I understand that if a product doesn’t work properly or fails that is the responsibility of the company to rectify that issue, but it should be done with transparency. Tell the people the truth, if you don’t, you force them to form there own opinions. I my opinion, GoPro put out an overpriced, oversized proprietary accessory that doesn’t work, so they stopped production. I’m sure they are trying to resolve the issue, but they are clearly trying to keep it quiet.

Tourist

[ New ]

I was so pissed that I couldn't find the adapter that after I tweeted GoPro, I eventually found it available on http://www.clevertraining.com.

To GoPro's credit, they did respond telling me it was now available for sale.  I had already ordered it from the site above so I never looked to confirm that it was indeed available on GoPro's website.

Hiker

[ New ]
@rapidbluff46710 Did you actually receive the adapter from clevertraing.com?? I tried ordering from B&H but I ended up getting a backorder email from them.
Tourist

[ New ]

I bought my first adapter with gopro Hero 7.
I had noise problems just when streaming with wifi on (I use the gopro mainly to record and stream classical music concerts).

If wifi is of, is ok.

I sent it back and had a new one. Same problem.

If you see my messega here:
https://community.gopro.com/t5/Mounts-Accessories/External-mic-adapter-noise/m-p/332727#/M8402

no answer for gopro.
The camera is unusable for what I bought it: streaming concerts with external audio.
Otherwise, is ok:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS5q9hWTWkA

Bartolomeo Tromboncino, Zefiro tornaCristina Fanelli, sopranoPatrizia Di Lorenzo, Angela Lacalamita, Fabio Armenise, Edward Szost, Diego Cantalupi, liutiDire...
Tourist

[ New ]

It took about a week, but I did indeed receive the adapter and it works fine with my Gopro Hero 7 Black.

Tourist

[ New ]

Did you try WiFi on and streaming?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @thomasp2348. Sorry for the inconvenience. We did a follow up with the team and we still do not have information on when the mic adapter will be available. The last information that we received is that there is no new design and we are not discontinuing it. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

So: discontinuing it because it desn't work.
I want my 65 euro back!
It dosn't work with wifi on.
The gopro idea is that you won't be abel to use exterrnal microphones?

Wow!!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. The mic adapter is now available at https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-3/pro-3.5mm-mic-adapter/AAMIC-001.html

Tourist

[ New ]
@mariustanya - maybe in the USA but the link you have sent when I view it in the UK says “Out of Stock”
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello Everyone. The mic adapter is now available at https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-3/pro-3.5mm-mic-adapter/AAMIC-001.html

Thanks for the heads up....  I order one.  

Tourist

[ New ]
Still no further response, even when attempting to escalate via the support team. What the hell is going on over there!?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi All,

There has been an update to better support the interference that is being experienced when using the Pro 3.5 Mic Adapter with Wi-Fi enabled. After further investigation, we were able to identify the audio interference you referencing is linked back to the external microphone that is being used.

In order to most effectively record while utilizing Wi-Fi, you will need to use an external mic that has a stronger shielding within the device such as a RØDE video micro. Given the vast amounts of external mics on the market, it is difficult to identify which third party model has this stronger shielding. I recommend further researching this specific specification when investing in an external mic. 

Tourist

[ New ]

wow so it looks like they're still out of mic adapters. Total fail. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Amazon in Australia are now selling them for $325, supply and demand!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Here it is, May 14, 2019 and the adapter still is not available and there is still no explantion as to why. I have one on backorder at B&H but I'm not holding my breath as to when or if I'll be getting one. The lack of response from GoPro with real answers is making me regret my purchase. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @tims6478,

I definitely hear your concerns and know the time spent waiting can be frustrating. There has been a larger demand than expected for the Pro 3.5Mic Adapter and GoPro is doing everything possible to meet this supply requirement across multiple regions. When inventory does become available it is often sold out quickly. 

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate the patience that has been required. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Ive only just seen your post mate, just wrote one myself. I wouldn't have bought it either if I knew I wouldn't have the option to have external audio. Absolute joke!!
Tourist

[ New ]
This truly is a joke!

Like many of you I bought a new Hero 7, was really happy with visual quality but the audio is terrible for my intended purpose which primarily motorcycle riding.

I read some mixed reviews about the GoPro Mic Adapter accessory but when I finally decided I would spend the extra $$ to buy it was out of stock. Eventually it became available on the Australian GoPro store so I ordered it.

First time I tried it I had no audio recorded. I’ve just done several experiments to figure it out how to get it to work and thanks to some of the other users on here (not from GoPro themselves!) I worked out the only way to get the adapter to function is leave my microphone halfway unplugged! That’s right! I’ve tried three different microphones and they are all the same. The only way to make it function is to half unplug the microphone. Right.....

What gives GoPro?

All of my microphones are 3 ring TRS type. Do I need a different microphone?

I really can’t see this being a successful setup to leave my microphone half unplugged. No doubt as soon as I start doing actiony type stuff on my bike the microphone plug will either go all the way in or fall out. Either way I’ll have no audio.

Please explain what I should do GoPro!!!!!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @toughdive2820.  Does your microphone have three black rings? If yes, you might be using a TRRS microphone. When using a TRRS microphone, you will experience difficulties when the mic is connected directly to the Pro 3.5mm mic Adapter. This will require the use of a TRRS to TRS adapter. See the details discussed in this article External Microphone Recommendations

There is more information on using the external microphones with the GoPro camera here. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the link to the compatibility page but all three of the microphones I tried are TRS type with 2 rings. One of the microphones is a Rode Video Micro with a 3.5mm TRS type plug.

It seems bizarre that it only works with the plug not fully inserted?!  

IMG_1037.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

It is odd, indeed. Thanks for the reply, @toughdive2820 . If you haven't done it yet, please get in touch with our Support team so they can further assist you regarding this matter. There maybe a fault to the adapter, but we cannot say for certain at this time. You may reach Support by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . When you do, you can direct them to this thread for reference. We'd love to hear how it works out. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hiker

[ New ]

So what gives about the mic adapter? Still no stock anywhere.

If you can't provode stock then update the firmware so that third party devices can be used.

If the issue is with wifi and streaming and you haven't got a solution then sell it for half the price with a caveat that it cannot be used for streaming. (Almost £50 is a joke anyway)

I don't want to do live streaming yet I can't get one anyway!!

Total fail GoPro, very disappointing

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

The mic adapter is NOW available at https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-3/pro-3.5mm-mic-adapter/AAMIC-001.html

Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Clever Training only ships in the continental US, and nowhere else in the world.

Too bad GoPro decided to sell their products all over the world, because then, nobody else would care.

Tourist

[ New ]
Says out of stock.
Tourist

[ New ]
Amazon Canada; $331.87 plus $34.62 shipping, for used. $340 to $364 plus $34.63 shipping for new.
Tourist

[ New ]
No, that still says 'Out of stock'.
Tourist

[ New ]

Still out of stock any updates at least a due date when everything is stocked up . For a big company having a hard time to produce a mic adapter is a joke. People in LA selling the adapter used for almost 150Bucks. Wtf go pro ?

Tourist

[ New ]
Bump @gopro
Sightseer

[ New ]

Any news on when the adaptor will be available please? I am going on holiday tomorrow and really wanted to know I had one of these to come home to but can’t buy it any where in the UK. Really disappointed having invested a hefty amount of money on a Hero 7 black with accesories

Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sharptree70688

Sorry, we do not have information when the stocks will be replenished. Please continue to check our website for updates. https://shop.gopro.com/International/mounts-accessories

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Look what I found on eBay:

https://tinyurl.com/y56t9x7y

$9.99 USD with free international shipping.  I'm contacting them now to confirm if they have stock.

Explorer

[ New ]