Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

FIXED!!! Max Lens Mod that didn't wanted to fit on Hero9

[ New ]

x

hero9-photo2.png

Today I received my Max Lens Mod for GoPro Hero9 and I was disappointed that the lens does not fit on the camera itself.
After losing more than an hour with support, they could not fix it.
Replacing the lens was not an option for me, because I did not want to send it back to the United States.

Before unscrewing something, try simply applying extra pressure to the lens (see attached photo №1) and scrolling it clockwise.
hero9-photo1.png

If you have no other options it may help you.

So, if nothing works we will need:

• Torx T4 head for unscrewing 4 bolts
  • A small nail file (I hope my girlfriend doesn't kill me Smiley Very Happy) or another device that can remove a small layer of metal. There is not enough space to remove the layer of metal we need, so you have to be very careful.
    hero9-photo.png

Unscrew four torx t4 bolts, and need to remove small layer of metal here (on both sides). Because of them it get stuck.
hero9-photo3.png

hero9-photo4.png

Sightseer

Re: FIXED!!! Max Lens Mod that didn't wanted to fit on Hero9

[ New ]

I followed your advise and it worked, thanks!
I still had to make some preassure for the lens rotation to make it fit, but it worked.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi There,

Same problem for me. Seems to be a bad batch. Came to teh same conclusion on what the issue us, but hesitant to do this because I do not want ot void my warranty. Did GoPro support tell you to do that?

Cheers

Jo

Hiker

[ New ]

Ugh, what an awfu design.  I mean, I'm glad it is a tight seal, but after following GoPro's instructions and two different YouTube videos I also can't get mine tight.  I wanted to test out the 360 stabilization functionaity but have missed two action sports opportunities now.  It's crap. I think I'll try the "apply a teeny tiny bit of lube" suggestion.

I'm hoping I can find a better alternative then disassembling the camera and filing down the metal.  We'll see.

I just purchased this Max Lens Mod direct from GoPro in March, 2020 - so I don't thinik it's a bad batch.  Seems people were complaining about this since it came out.