Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Sightseer

External microphone

[ New ]
I just came across the digipower actionpack 9. This is very similar to what I need but I have a question & wonder if anyone here knows an answer about a gopro product.

I use a gopro hero 6 for recording helicopter training. I have it mounted behind the pilot and I use the gopro external microphone / power USB-C dongle to record external audio from the intercoms. I need to record external audio like this.

I would like an extended battery solution that still allows use of the gopro external microphone adapter.

I read the user guide for the actionpack 9 and it doesn’t look like it can do this. It doesn’t look like gopro have any “backpack” style external batteries for the hero 6.

I tried using an external (jackery) battery charger, but whenever I use it, it only stays on until the gopro is at 100%.... which is basically immediately. Then it turns off and is useless, as the gopro merrily runs down to zero and shuts off. I can never stop flying to reach back and turn the external battery on, if I even do remember. So I want an external power supply that either (1) functions like an external battery pack but won’t shut off when the gopro battery is at 100%, or (2) interfaces direct with the camera like the actionpack but also allows external microphone input.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: External microphone

[ New ]

Hi @he-dog

Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording.

For extended recordings, some users suggest to take the battery out and let the camera run off the external power source.

Thanks!
Ej

View solution in original post

Explorer

[ New ]
The GoPro microphone adapter has a port for plugging in power. I haven't tested this, but I believe you can remove the camera battery, plug in the GoPro microphone adapter, plug in your external power to the adapter, and then plug your mic into the adapter.

I've heard mixed (mostly negative) experiences with the digipower, but some have said it works. however, you are correct that it utilizes the same slot that is neede for plugging in the GoPro mic adapter.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @he-dog

Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording.

For extended recordings, some users suggest to take the battery out and let the camera run off the external power source.

Thanks!
Ej

Explorer

[ New ]
The GoPro microphone adapter has a port for plugging in power. I haven't tested this, but I believe you can remove the camera battery, plug in the GoPro microphone adapter, plug in your external power to the adapter, and then plug your mic into the adapter.

I've heard mixed (mostly negative) experiences with the digipower, but some have said it works. however, you are correct that it utilizes the same slot that is neede for plugging in the GoPro mic adapter.