Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Nomad

El Grande Tripod Mount - useful to mount stick? Quality?

[ New ]

Hi guys, 

has anyone tried using the built in tripod mount at the bottom to attach a fully extended pole with a cam (H5/6 or Fusion) on top to a moving object? 

I am thinking of getting an El Grande, but I'd like to screw it into a base plate that can then be attached to a car roof, boat or similar and I was wondering if the stick's screw-in based might break out easily or may have, e.g. a metal core that goes throught the grip or is in any other way "rugged". 

Thanks heaps

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: El Grande Tripod Mount - useful to mount stick? Quality?

[ New ]

Hello  @rockybluff5072,

Good question. The El Grande's screw-in base is made of metal and is surrounded by the thicker part of the the whole rod. You can check out the picture included. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello  @rockybluff5072,

Good question. The El Grande's screw-in base is made of metal and is surrounded by the thicker part of the the whole rod. You can check out the picture included. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers, 
Marius

Nomad

[ New ]

@mariustanya thanks! I guess there's only one way to find out then... I'll have a look at one in a shop first; 

GoPro

[ New ]

Sounds like a plan, @rockybluff5072. You are welcome!

Explorer

[ New ]
I'm not sure which size the El Grande uses, but most tripod thread sizes are either 3/8 inch or 1/4 inch and not very deep. No doubt it will stand if it is threaded to a secure base, as it is designed for a tripod. However, I would be cautious when using in a way that placed stress on the mounting screw. If you used a long enough screw that allowed for a locking washer and if you secured the pole near the top, then it might work out. Be sure to tether the camera and pole as well, just in case.
Nomad

[ New ]
Thanks, yes! I came to a similar conclusion, the pole would probably sway quite a lot as well, so some tie-down further up would probably be a good idea..
Nomad

[ New ]
but.. having said that, part of the idea is to mount a Fusion that way, then tie-down may be ugly on the videos. well, who knows. better than loosing / damaging either, I guess. Or maybe I need to build something more sturdy myself.