12-10-2019 05:44 AM
I thought I'd post this here incase it helps anyone else.
I want to use the El Grande pole with my GoPro Max for an event this coming weekend, but wasn't keen on the original QR attachment point being in shot, so last night I took a knife, and junior hacksaw to it.
The ball itself is aluminum and has a knurled post which looks to be molded into the QR plate at manufacture.
With some careful sawing I was able to remove most of the plastic and then use side cutters to free the ball part - which came away cleanley.
The knurled post needed to be trimmed down to 7.75mm in height and it's diameter needed filing down a little too to fit the threaded hole in the base of the aluminium Smatree gopro mount I was going to use it with.
I used Vuduglu VM100 structural adhesive to bond the two pieces together. I've used this stuff to bond aluminium inserts into carbon tubes and it's super strong. I made sure there was planty of grooves in the post for the adhesive to bond into and after curing overnight the two parts are going nowhere. I've done a weighted test on the El Grande and confident enough to trust it with my Max now.
The downward view is now very similar to that of the fusion grip - so don't expect to see any unwanted 'bit' in my shots.
Hope this helps someone else.
03-24-2020 02:01 PM
Nice work. I tried something similar, but goofed up by making a clean, flat cut above the ball joint instead of leaving the post intact. I tried epoxying two flat surfaces together, and it eventually failed