Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Sightseer

Do vented helmet mounts break off on impact?

Do vented helmet mounts break off on impact?

If so, what is the mechanism for that? The straps seem fairly unbreakable... ?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Do vented helmet mounts break off on impact?

Hello @hughperkins

The vented helmet mount should not break easily. It is designed to survive possible impact from biking, kayaking, or similar sports. You can check product reviews from actual users here

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Explorer

Um, yes and no. The buckle will break at the clip if the camera is hit straight on to prevent injury; however, it does need to be a pretty strong force. Basic tumbles and falls will generally not cause the mount to fail; however, if the camera were to strike something, like a tree branch head on, then the mount will usually break at the buckle instead of your neck.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Marius wrote:

The vented helmet mount should not break easily. It is designed to survive possible impact from biking, kayaking, or similar sports. You can check product reviews from actual users here

Hmmm, that seems bad. I dont really fancy having a gopro surgically removed from my skull after falling off my bike, or hitting a car.

What products do you have that will in fact break off on impact?

Hugh

Highlighted
Explorer

On the vented Helmet mount the clips for the webbing would give out long before your skull is, "surgically removed" 😉. Add to that the fact that the buckle clips will break on direct impact and you do have some added safety. However, as with adding any product to your helmet, there are risk as the helmet is not designed to have a camera mounted to it.

Although, after all of these years, and with the vented helmet strap being one of GoPro's first mounts, can you would think there would be a fair amount complaints if people where getting injured using this mount. With this in mind, I think you can be assured that you most likely will be keeping your skull interact in case of an accidental crash. 😃