Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Can we stop pretending IATA regulations prevent us ordering batteries in major markets.

[ New ]

Seriously,

I live in Japan, batteries are available at significant extra cost in retail stores (because of markup and no subscription discount).

You can't tell me it's impossible to send a larger amount of stock to Japan via whatever freight system you use to supply the stores and then ship locally from here when people order them, you have had literally months to sort this out! 

This should apply to ALL major markets.

It's getting pretty close to a scam to advertise discounts related to the subscription service that are literally impossible to realise! On top of this it was impossible to order batteries and chargers when I orderded the camera (at the time it was impossibe to know why).  So I left them off on the assumption I could use the discounted prices at a later date.

Now I want to order the lens mod (as it's finally available and will be the first thing I can order to actually take advantage of the subscription discount) and I'm left in a situation where the batteries still can't be ordered and if I don't order them now they would fall below the value limit for free shipping when I order them later, hence completely invalidating the discount anyway.

Honestly the whole thing feels like a massive scam and at the very least is pretty appalling customer service!

GoPro

Re: Can we stop pretending IATA regulations prevent us ordering batteries in major markets.

[ New ]

Hi @samuell74

It is a shipping restriction that is imposed on us and that we have no control over. Considering the restriction, rechargeable batteries/dual chargers with a battery can only be purchased when they come with a camera in the same order.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Re: Can we stop pretending IATA regulations prevent us ordering batteries in major markets.

[ New ]

So how do the batteries get to local Japanese retailers then?

You can't tell me in the months since release you couldn't simply add extra batteries to some of those shipments to fulfill online orders from.

You have to be shipping literally thousands of batteries to Japan every month and given they are available for individual sale here, they clearly aren't part of a camera pack. 

The same applies to literally any market over a certain size, US, Europe, Japan, Australia etc...

It was impossible for me to add a charger or a battery when I ordered my camera and now your using a ridiculous excuse to pretend it's impossible to get a battery to Japan.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Further more to this I have just discovered I can actually order batteries for the normal retail price directly from the official GoPro Amazon store...

Seriously???

You can ship a bunch of them for to make available for ordering off Amazon at full price but you can't manage to ship any to GoPro subscribers in Japan.