Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Can any remote turn on 5 black from sleep?

Hi Folks

Just purchased a 5 black camera and considering purchasing a remote.

I've done some searching around the forums, and If I understand correctly the following is true;

The smart remote cannot turn on the camera if it’s been turned off for a specific period of time, without manually turning on the camera first. I’m aware that the remote can turn the camera on and off, but my understanding is that after a period of time with the camera and remote off, there will come a point when the remote can no longer power it on and a manual start of the camera would be required.

The Remo however will be able to turn on the camera automatically regardless of how long they have both been turned off for, as it uses bluetooth and not wi-fi to communicate with the camera.

Can anyone clarify my understanding is correct? I plan to mount the camera under my saddle on the bike and ideally i'd like to be able to turn it on and start recording using the remote, without having to stop and manually turn on the camera. The time between recordings could be a number of hours. If my understanding is correct, then it would appear I only have 1 option, the Remo.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Can any remote turn on 5 black from sleep?

Everything @mariustanya stated is correct, but just to reiterate...

After 8 hours of inactivity you cannot use the remote to turn the camera back on. The Smart Remote will turn the camera on and off. If you turn the camera off with the remote, you can turn it back on again as long as the connection is not severed (like with a battery drain or extended period of inactivity). Your information about the REMO being able to turn on the camera regardless of how long both have been turned off is wrong.

View solution in original post

Explorer

Get the Smart Remote.  The manufacturer of the battery for REMO produced some bad batches and there are now issues with the REMO remote.  The Smart Remote is a much more functional remote anyway.  It has longer range, is more reliable, and allows for you to make changes to the settings.  REMO was a nice idea, but unfortunately the battery issue has made it a poor option.  Perhaps GoPro will release a new remote in the future that has the functionality of the Smart Remote but also with voice activation.  Remotes are not a huge seller and the Smart Remote works great, so I don't think we will see a new version anytime soon.  On a side note, I owned the original remote for years and never used it.  One day I needed it for a project and realized just how handy it is.  I now have the Smart Remote and use it all the time.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hello @fireybluff01633

Thank you for your query. There is no set time for the the connection between a smart remote control and the camera. As long as the two will not be un-paired, you can always use the smart remote control to turn the camera on. If it happens though that they become unpaired (for extended periods of inactivity), you will just have to re-pair them. This would go the same with the REMO. 

Cheers, 

Marius 

Explorer

Everything @mariustanya stated is correct, but just to reiterate...

After 8 hours of inactivity you cannot use the remote to turn the camera back on. The Smart Remote will turn the camera on and off. If you turn the camera off with the remote, you can turn it back on again as long as the connection is not severed (like with a battery drain or extended period of inactivity). Your information about the REMO being able to turn on the camera regardless of how long both have been turned off is wrong.

Tourist

Thanks for the responses that makes perfect sense. This will allow me to make an informed decision as to which remote to buy.

Much appreciated
Explorer

Get the Smart Remote.  The manufacturer of the battery for REMO produced some bad batches and there are now issues with the REMO remote.  The Smart Remote is a much more functional remote anyway.  It has longer range, is more reliable, and allows for you to make changes to the settings.  REMO was a nice idea, but unfortunately the battery issue has made it a poor option.  Perhaps GoPro will release a new remote in the future that has the functionality of the Smart Remote but also with voice activation.  Remotes are not a huge seller and the Smart Remote works great, so I don't think we will see a new version anytime soon.  On a side note, I owned the original remote for years and never used it.  One day I needed it for a project and realized just how handy it is.  I now have the Smart Remote and use it all the time.

Tourist

Thanks Daniel