Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Sightseer

Can Hero 8 Black record with Media Mod without an internal battery?

[ New ]

I'm looking to record for an extended period and will use exteral power over USB. To prevent battery overheating we will remove the battery and power the unit through the Media Mod and an external USB supply. Will the unit operate in this fashion?

(I've read the Hero 7 Black will not work with the mic adaptor without a battery - so recording times will be limited by thermal considerations.)

GoPro

Re: Can Hero 8 Black record with Media Mod without an internal battery?

[ New ]

Hello, @cobol911. Your setup should work. Be sure to use the USB-C charging cable that came with the camera package, and an external power source that outputs 5V, 1-2 A. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks.

I have a new H8 Black on order - the Media Mod and 3.5mm Mic Adaptors are on back order. I may go for the 3.5mm mic adaptor since it should be cheaper and there is a cage for it that I may obtain. I assume the power requriements for the Media Mod or Mic Adaptor are the same. Per this forum, the H7 Black had issues in that it required in internal battery to be used, and external USB power would not provide power to the camera: hence it would discharge and trip off the camera.

I expect that the H8 will not have this issue with the Media Mod nor the 3.5mm GOPRO Mic Adaptor. 

Tourist

[ New ]

My Media Mod operates without the internal battery installed and poered through the USB C connector.