Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

Black residue on Supercharger

My GoPro supercharger, bought with my Hero3, has a black, sticky residue all over it. The charger, camera etc are stored in a POV hard case with no residue on other bits of kit.
What has caused it, how do I get rid of it and is the charger still safe to use?
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Black residue on Supercharger

Hi @rayh22

We would recommend a clean soft cotton cloth moistened lightly with warm soapy water, but only moistened, not wet. This may remove some of the residue, but some stuff – such as skin lotion, spray-on-tan lotion, residue from dirty oily hands (e.g. grease from an engine coming off someone’s dirty hands) and similar, may be absorbed into the paint and stain it in a way that’s impossible to cure without removing some of the paint.

Please DO NOT use isopropyl alcohol to clean the camera body.  

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Black residue on Supercharger

Hi Ej

Tried the soapy, damp cloth which cleaned up the various plugs but did nothing for the main charging unit - removed labelling and generated more residue.
A bit disappointed, as bit the bullet and bought a new supercharger whilst skiing is in Vail as needed to charge GoPro whilst away - cheaper than in the UK. It appears the new supercharger has only one USB-A socket and a smaller USB-C, which I gather matches with newer cameras, which now means I can only charge one GoPro item at a time whereas I used to charge both the camera and dual battery charger.