Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Black residue on Supercharger

My GoPro supercharger, bought with my Hero3, has a black, sticky residue all over it. The charger, camera etc are stored in a POV hard case with no residue on other bits of kit.
What has caused it, how do I get rid of it and is the charger still safe to use?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Black residue on Supercharger

Hi @rayh22

We would recommend a clean soft cotton cloth moistened lightly with warm soapy water, but only moistened, not wet. This may remove some of the residue, but some stuff – such as skin lotion, spray-on-tan lotion, residue from dirty oily hands (e.g. grease from an engine coming off someone’s dirty hands) and similar, may be absorbed into the paint and stain it in a way that’s impossible to cure without removing some of the paint.

Please DO NOT use isopropyl alcohol to clean the camera body.  

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @rayh22

We would recommend a clean soft cotton cloth moistened lightly with warm soapy water, but only moistened, not wet. This may remove some of the residue, but some stuff – such as skin lotion, spray-on-tan lotion, residue from dirty oily hands (e.g. grease from an engine coming off someone’s dirty hands) and similar, may be absorbed into the paint and stain it in a way that’s impossible to cure without removing some of the paint.

Please DO NOT use isopropyl alcohol to clean the camera body.  

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Ej

Tried the soapy, damp cloth which cleaned up the various plugs but did nothing for the main charging unit - removed labelling and generated more residue.
A bit disappointed, as bit the bullet and bought a new supercharger whilst skiing is in Vail as needed to charge GoPro whilst away - cheaper than in the UK. It appears the new supercharger has only one USB-A socket and a smaller USB-C, which I gather matches with newer cameras, which now means I can only charge one GoPro item at a time whereas I used to charge both the camera and dual battery charger.