Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Are you going to make a Protective Housing 4 the HERO7/6 Black like you have done 4 the HERO7 Silver

Are you going to make a Protective Housing for the HERO7/6 Black like you have done for the HERO7 Silver / HERO7 White - so that I don't have to take the camera apart if I want to go deeper than 10 meters like I do today with the Supersuit

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Are you going to make a Protective Housing 4 the HERO7/6 Black like you have done 4 the HERO7...

No, the camera does not lose any waterproofing by having the protective lens removed. And No, it does not, "lose its native waterproofing/tackiness or mean it or the camera will become damaged at some point". I've been using the Super Suit with my GoPro cameras for years 3-4X a week and have not had any of these issues.

There are plenty of 3rd party housings that will allow you to use a housing without taking off the protective lens. I have one and compared to the Super Suit, it's not as good to have an extra layer of glass. If this is what you want, there are plenty of companies providing these, but this is hardly something the, "community have been crying out for",

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Are you going to make a Protective Housing 4 the HERO7/6 Black like you have done 4 the HERO7...

Hi @willrodbard

We do not have information on this but we will have this sent as a feedback.

Please continue checking our website for updates. https://shop.gopro.com/mounts-accessories

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Thanks EJ

It seems strange that you (GoPro) would create an accessory (one the community have been crying out for ever since the Hero6 camera format was released) but only make it available for the lower models and not the flagship product?

GoPro

Hi @willrodbard

SuperSuit is the one available for HERO7 Black.

The only difference is the protective lens which needs to be removed first before attaching it to the housing.

HERO7 White/Silver does not have this.

But as advised, this has been sent as a feedback.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ Edited ]

Sorry for stating the obvious, but I am aware that the Supersuit is the one currently for the Hero7/6 black.

My point is that myself and lots and lots and lots of other people think it's dumb that you have to remove the lens cover (making it non-waterproof) just top put the Hero7/6 in another waterproof housing.
Imagine if you are on a boat about to go on a dive and its choppy/raining etc, you have to expose the camera before you can make it waterproof again??

3rd party companies make external housing for the hero7/6 meaning it can go down to 60 meters without needing to take the lens cover off first, I, like a lot of people I just wish GoPro would make one.

Even if the camera stayed waterproof during the process of removing the lens cover, doing so repeatedly is going to eventually cause it to lose its native waterproofing/tackiness or mean it or the camera will become damaged at some point

Explorer

No, the camera does not lose any waterproofing by having the protective lens removed. And No, it does not, "lose its native waterproofing/tackiness or mean it or the camera will become damaged at some point". I've been using the Super Suit with my GoPro cameras for years 3-4X a week and have not had any of these issues.

There are plenty of 3rd party housings that will allow you to use a housing without taking off the protective lens. I have one and compared to the Super Suit, it's not as good to have an extra layer of glass. If this is what you want, there are plenty of companies providing these, but this is hardly something the, "community have been crying out for",
Tourist

I stand (happily) corrected, before purchasing the Hero6 Black and now the Hero7 Black I did some googling and found a large number of folks worried about the need to remove the protective lens cover, to fit it in Supersuit, and without wanting to dunk-test a new camera I went with what I had read.
I understand the negatives of shooting video through, what would be 3 pieces of glass if you had a new protective housing that didn't require the lens cover removed but it would add another level of protection, so some people (yeah, there are people out there asking for this - so not sure why you felt the need to be sarcastic in your response to this point) would appreciate it and take the hit on any potential recording degradation
But as I said, happy to stand corrected

Explorer

I re-read my reply and don't see where I made any sarcastic remarks. I did literally mean everything I wrote. However, I do apologize if you took offense to what I wrote.

The Super Suit and the need to remove the protective lens has actually been around for nearly 3 years (since September 2016) when the HERO5 Black came out. Since that time I'm sure there have been the fair share of request for a housing that does not require the removal of the protective lens, although this is mostly just due to a lack of understanding of the benefits of removing the protective lens. For the very limited number of people who have requested such a housing, I have suggested the 3rd party option as well.

I am an active participant on several GoPro forums and have a pretty decent feel for the wants and needs of the GoPro community. It's important to keep a few things in mind when looking at post found on the web. First, GoPro has sold over 30 million cameras with a large share of that being the HERO5/6/7. The HERO5 has been GoPro's number one selling camera to date, but the HERO7 Black is closing the gap and has been the fastest selling camera in the companies history. As with most things, people are more likely to be compelled to write negative views, opinions, or experiences than those who are happy with their purchase and the supporting accessories.

I'm happy to answer questions as best as I can and certainly hope that you (and others) enjoy the camera to the fullest and capture some amazing moments. However, when I read misinformation that is stated as fact or certain phrases such as, "lots of other people think it's dumb", I might not be gently eloquent in my response. Again, I do apologize if you took offense to what I wrote. An advantage of not being a GoPro employee is I don't have to couch my words as much as the Moderators. I do share one common goal with them, however, and that is the desire for users of GoPro cameras to get the most from their cameras. As this is a public forum, sometimes it requires correcting misstatements made by others, as these post are often read by others who never comment but do come here for information.

All my best!