Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

Any problem with excessive overheating using the Media Mod with my HERO 8 Black as a dash-cam?

[ New ]

I have read that some of the GoPro's have a tendency to overheat when used as a dash-cam,at least the HERO7 Black,from what I have read.Any real overheating problems with the HERO8 Black when enclosed in the Media Mod and used as a dash-cam..if so,how can the heat be lessened? Thanks

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Any problem with excessive overheating using the Media Mod with my HERO 8 Black as a dash-cam?

[ New ]

Hi @keithh54243

You may try using a lower resolution and turning off the wireless connection.

Check out Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures

Most users suggest removing the battery when doing long recordings.

Please note that doing so will leave the USB ports exposed. Without the door attached, the camera is not waterproof.

Also, make sure that your camera is up to date and a recommended SD card is used.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Any problem with excessive overheating using the Media Mod with my HERO 8 Black as a dash-cam?

[ New ]

Hi @keithh54243

You may try using a lower resolution and turning off the wireless connection.

Check out Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures

Most users suggest removing the battery when doing long recordings.

Please note that doing so will leave the USB ports exposed. Without the door attached, the camera is not waterproof.

Also, make sure that your camera is up to date and a recommended SD card is used.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks! Now regarding using as a dash cam I would need a longer cable,so I can run the cable from the camera to my usb port in my car to power the 8 with the battery removed...do I need a 3.0 cable or will a 2.0 suffice?. (USB Type-C to USB-A).Thanks.

Sightseer

[ New ]

hola yo me he comprado reciente la hero 9 y la pongo en el sarpicadero y no veas como arde calienta demaciado, la he comprado con la tarjeta de un comercio  cullo nombre no digo pero gracias a esa compra con la targeta de ese comercio dispongo de dos meses para devolucion, lo cual voy a seguir comprobando cosillas y si no me interesa la devuelvo pero es cieerto que se calienta muchisimo y se apaga

Hiker

[ New ]

English please.Thanks