Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Any lighter frame options for the hero 5?

I just got the Hero 5 Black last night, and immediately sliced my thumb open trying to open the ridiculously stiff Frame locking latch. I really hope this will loosen up over time, because i am hesitant each time I go to open it now.

But i feel this frame is complete overkill for this device. Makes it quite bulky and adds some weight. The Frame enclosure for previous gopros was much thinner and lighter - basically just a wrap around strap that closed in by the standard gopro mount. Does anyone know if such a lightweight frame option is available for the Hero 5 Black? Is anyone making it? I dont see many case options, even on Alibaba.

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Any lighter frame options for the hero 5?

Well it turns out Incredesigns has come up with a lightweight frame for the Hero 5. Its a 3D printed case and is exactly what i was looking for - access to all of the buttons and no bulk or excess weight. They charged 10euro for the frame and 4 for postage.

3D printing has a certain look to it, i'll be honest, you can tell its not an OEM accessory. But it holds the camera tight, and its perfect for taking videos where i am not doing backflips off bridges or other extreme stuff.

View solution in original post

gopro frame.jpg

All Replies
Nomad

Thinner/lighter (other?) material for 'the Frame' is the root cause why mine (and other peoples) snapped after some time of usage.

'Better be save than sorry' with the new one.

Maybe some aftermarket companies will release knock-off in the near future; you can weight them to fee if they are lighter (and/or less durable).

If weight matters that much maybe the seesion would be a good option.

Hiker

Thanks for the reply. I didnt know there were problems with the earlier frames breaking. But then i would expect that if you are using the frame case you wouldnt be doing any extreme activities? Anyway i guess i will wait to see what aftermarket companies come up with. Incredesigns makes an awesome looking frame for several other cameras, so hopefully they will add the Hero5 Black to that lineup

Weight is a concern, but not enough to give up the screen, and burst photography capabilities (in the Session). I see that this frame is intended to provide shock protection as well, since the unit is waterproof on its own so most people will be using it in extreme sports with just this frame. So it had to be bulky, fair enough. But i wished they offered a trimmed down version for those who are just using it to take videos of their kids crawling in the living room or other less extreme activities!

Hiker

Well it turns out Incredesigns has come up with a lightweight frame for the Hero 5. Its a 3D printed case and is exactly what i was looking for - access to all of the buttons and no bulk or excess weight. They charged 10euro for the frame and 4 for postage.

3D printing has a certain look to it, i'll be honest, you can tell its not an OEM accessory. But it holds the camera tight, and its perfect for taking videos where i am not doing backflips off bridges or other extreme stuff.

gopro frame.jpg
Nomad

If you are trying to record kids playing in the living room, do you even need the Frame? Couldn't you just hold the GoPro?

You can use the Frame for extreme sports. It hold the GoPro in securely. The Super Suit is only needed for extra protection. Does that 3-D printed case look like the camera is just sitting there to you? To me, I see no way that the camera is secure. There are no lips or doors or anything that keeps the GoPro from sliding out.

I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time opening the latch. Remember that the tight latch is also what keeps your GoPro from falling out, so it is probably better for it to be so tight.

Hiker

It is held in tight, Due to the protrusions of the buttons, and a clamping effect (i.e. friction betwen the case and the rubberized coating). Sure i might be able to push it out if i press on the back really hard but it would take a fair bit of effort and i have zero concerns about the gopro just slipping out, even when shaking the stick.

And as for holding the gopro without a case; it is both awkward to hold something this small (easy to drop) and it is hard to record smooth video. Holding it by a handle is infinitely easier and more comfortable.

I also bought a $2 frame housing from China that is a similar size to the gopro frame (i.e. rather bulky), but it allows me to open the charging port without removing the gopro from the case. The latch is also a lot easier to open.

All round i feel like the frame option from Gopro is not such a well thought out product. Sure, they wanted to cut down on the range to make things simpler to choose, but they should have had a third option for non-extreme duties. At least aftermarket options exist.