Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Sightseer
Battery almost worthless

I just purchased a HERO6 - updated the firmware yesterday and let it charge to full over night. This morning I unplug it to take it to the mount by my 3D printer to do some timelaps videos. Camera was EXTREMELY hot for a piece of "plastic", and after putting the camera in the mount I noticed the 60% battery left. As I was looking at it, it went to 59, then 58 and ended on 56 in the one minute I was studying it.

Sorry, but that won't give me more than maybe an hour of video if I'm lucky.

All setting sare default. I did change the brightness of the LCD to about 50% - it's doing the WiFi (Why oh WHY does this thing think WiFI is a good idea? Talk about a crappy interface - the apps borked saying "problems with the internet downloading the firmware" well, DUH - what do you think the WIFI is for on the phone??   I'll experment turning off WiFI, GPS and every other transmission stuff I can find - still this makes NO sense.

Written as a very new GoPRO user - a user of lots of video cameras including Raspberry PI cameras which I'll probably go to and return this camera, if battery life is just within an hour (charging takes forever btw. - this charger can charge a PixelBook in about 30 minutes. After 2 hours the camera was just about 60% there.

How is everyone's experience with the battery?  Using the bracket that comes with the camera (nice one btw) the plugs for power are hidden. MY use-case is mostly indoors so being able to just plug it in would be a big advantage. Some 3D prints take days to complete (hence timelapse) - I expected the unit to be able to do this on battery since all it needs to do is take a picture every 30 seconds.

Hiker
Re: Battery almost worthless

Hey there, I don't know of any camera I have owned that could perform what you want on a battery. (Days long timelapse only taking photos) Your charging issue seems strange as that shouldn't be what happens when you charge a Hero6. I cannot confirm the exact time I get on one battery, but should be under 2 hours in best case. This is why I buy multiple batteries and alwas have done this with every GoPro. What mount to you have that blocks the ports? If your camera is in The Frame, which comes with it, you can still access the port for power. Take the port door off, then put in frame. By the way, Wifi and the app are amazing, just not for what your intended uses are. Hope this helps.

Sightseer
Re: Battery almost worthless

@tylerjordan wrote:

Hey there, I don't know of any camera I have owned that could perform what you want on a battery. (Days long timelapse only taking photos)

Your charging issue seems strange as that shouldn't be what happens when you charge a Hero6. I cannot confirm the exact time I get on one battery, but should be under 2 hours in best case. This is why I buy multiple batteries and alwas have done this with every GoPro. What mount to you have that blocks the ports? If your camera is in The Frame, which comes with it, you can still access the port for power. Take the port door off, then put in frame. By the way, Wifi and the app are amazing, just not for what your intended uses are. Hope this helps.

It's probably unfair for me to compare with a simple POWERED raspberry with a dumb 1mpixel camera - but that's what I know. It's low powered, and basically wakes up every X seconds, takes a picture, and goes back to sleep. When done, you have an SD card with a ton of pictures usually just numbered 1-X - using ffmpeg and presto, you have a move. If you're really into wireless stuff, you add/enable the WIFI and do a simple point to point copy.  This is so low powered, I can use a 9v Battery for days for the recording. Light and other stuff is all set - it's all fixed focus etc. All it has to do is dump the light information from the lense, store it, and sleep.

REAL cameras will do a lot of adjustments ever time you "point them". That's what eats the power. High end processing to make adjustments to light, focal point and a lot more.  Now, if I mounted this on a FPV to take pictures every few seconds to show a long flight, THEN I would understand the need for this, and hence the power-need that follows.   If the GoPro works for my primary use, I'll consider adding mounts etc. so I can take it on the road. For now, I wanted an already existing app to remote control it while it was on the printer - and to be able to see a live feed when I wasn't home. And since I got the HERO6 Black "for free" I thought here's a great candidate where I don't have to DIY.  For now, I'm not impressed.

Charging wise - let's forget about the days for now. I'll still be disapointed if I cannot at least do timelapse in a 24 hour period without a recharging it, but let that aside. I just want to last long enough for a short print.  I took the camera out of the night long charger around noon today (not exactly early), it was hot etc. and by the time I had it in the bracket to record (5 minutes later) it was at 60% and I saw it go down.  I started a timelapse for a short print, and at 1600 when the print was done - the camera was all dead, cold etc. so it's been stopped for a long long time.  I estimate I started the print around 13.30 so that's less than 3.5 hours of run on a full charge.  Once I figure out how to reconnect to the camera (not working) I'll see how far it went. Heck, I'll probably just remove the SD card and plug it in directly to avoid more stress.

(edit: Did that, and the timeslaps isn't even on the card - and yes I can read every file on the SD card).

As to the bracket, I AM using "The Frame" that came with the camera.  Not sure how to take the door off without breaking it - I guess I'll have to investigate that.

As to the app - at best I've found it "ok" when it works. Too much ad-ware wanting me to buy more and more and more - it even starts in the "why don't you get "stories" mode - it doesn't even start with the camera I have. So before I even started using it it was annoying. There are a lot of ways to wireless connection.  When I read "wifi" on the specs, I assumed (wrongly it seems) that it meant the camera would oonnect to MY network, and I would then access it that way. But no - I have to connect my devices to it.  So no remote access when I'm not home. But worse, my phone (Pixel) is fairly straight forward when it comes to networking - if it has Wifi and a connection it uses it, if not it uses the mobile network. But with the network on this phone, I've only had success when I turn the mobile network off (airplane mode) and then hope that the stars are aligned and the camera will be found.

I had to laugh while writing this, as in it's failed attempt to connect it told me "battery low" and still failed to connect.  Yeah, my trust in this app isn't very high right now, and it looks like I won't be able to use it as I planned except watching a print when I'm not in the room where the printer is (the signal seems pretty weak though, so I'm not sure that will be successful either).

Read this with the glasses of a very new GoPro user. I'm really expecting that I'm doing it all wrong and it will work better. But for now, I'm not a fan.

Thank you a lot for your reply.