Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Highlighted
Tourist

webcam software not seeing camera

I have the webcam software for mac installed (1.0.196) on my macbook pro.  And I have the webcam beta firmware loaded onto my GP Hero 8 (about the camera says it's version 01.90.10, which I believe matches up with the webcam beta based on the url — GoPro Webcam Beta Firmware.

However, I can't get the webcam software to see my camera.

The camera just sayd "USB CONNECTED" and the icon in the menubar for the webcam software doesn't show the green dot indicating that a camera is attached (and the drop down sayd "no camera connected").

I've tried a usb-c-to-usb-c cable connected directly from my gopro to my mac and I've tried a gopro usb-a to usb-c cable connected through my thunderbolt dock (usb-a 5GB socket).

I've also first disconnected (and later tried fully exiting) my personal vpn software — NordVPN.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks,

Matt

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: webcam software not seeing camera

I just installed the firmware update and the Webcam Beta software. The Mac sees the Hero8 connected, but in Zoom, the camera is not listed.
Highlighted
Tourist

Also the GoPro is VERY HOT!
Highlighted
Hiker

I installed the GoPro webcam application exactly as the video instructed and everything appeared to go well.  However when I fired up Zoom and went to preferences to select the "GoPro" camera option it wasn't there.  So I tried re-booting the computer and nothing.  Then I tried reinstalling the software and nothing.

Then I noticed that the software (supposedly) only works with Zoom version 5.1.5.  Well.... our company is using 5.1.2.  So I fiugred I was just out of luck until we updated to 5.1.5.

A couple of hours later I opened Zoom and low and behold... it was seeing the GoPro camera option.  I did nothing to it during the interim. I didn't restart the computer or install any other software I simply gave up and started working on somthing else and it started working.  A week later and it's still working well.  The only difference between the latested firmware update and using the new app, verses how I was using it with the Media Mod and the Elgato HD 60S+ as the video intermediary is that I can't use the 4K setting which creates a more cinematic look to the signal.

Now if only someone at GoPro can explain why it all of a sudden starting working and working with Zoom version 5.1.2 with no specific intervention on my part?

Highlighted
Tourist

Tengo el mismo problema, lo solucionaste? 

Highlighted
Tourist

@labruja No.  I have not seen any helpful replies on the forum and it's still not working for me.

Let me know if you figure anything out.

Highlighted
Tourist

Are you running it with the battery inserted? 

If yes, take the battery out and use USB power only

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: webcam software not seeing camera (Overheat)

... Seems my post didn't link to the "camera is hot' post. My bad.

Running the GP without the battery inserted relates to the overheating issue, not the "webcam not being seen in the software" issue. :)

I can only get mine to work in zoom, not facetime or Teams on Mac OS Catalina