Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Tourist

Webcam/Preview not working with Hero 9 on macOS

[ New ]

OSX version: 10.15.6 Catalina

Webcam utilty version: 1.0.224

Firmware version: 1.21

Connected via USBC, firewall is off.

Stuck on

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.07.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.07.24 PM.png
Tourist

Re: Webcam/Preview not working with Hero 9 on macOS

[ New ]

I am having the same issue with my Hero 9.  Webcam previously worked with my Hero 8

Hiker

[ New ]

I have the same issue. It worked with Hero 8. After I upgraded to Hero 9 it does not work anymore.

I have installed the latest Webcam desktop application (1.0.224) and I notice I cannot quit the application either.

Additionally I observed that the Hero 9 interfaced is not present in the System Network list after the install. I added the interface and it shows the GoPro is connected. But the blue indicator does not come up in the menu bar where the WebCam App is accessed.

MacOSX.png
Sightseer

[ New ]

Yup same problem as this; come on gopro get someone on this FFS.

Tourist

[ New ]

I just got my HERO9, exactly same setup as you, except that Iʻm still on OSX 10.14.x (Mojave) and first attempt to connect HERO9 (previously used HERO8) was as you described - no preview (AND the Camera detected USB connected but was not in WebCam mode...

I quit/restarted the WebCam Software (v1.0.224), turned on my HERO9 and plugged into USB port, it all satrted working.  HERO9 went into webcam mode, OSX webcam utility showed not blue dot but a red dot, and preview was working....    Unclear if webcam untilty had to reset from HERO8 use or if connect order turning on HERO9 first then plugging into USB was the issue.  Now that itʻs connected once, it seems it always works regardless of start order...

Tourist

[ New ]

I tired a lot of similar steps. Installed/re-installed. Nothing really worked. Looking at the logs in the OSX console also didnt show anything specific at least while VPN was off.

Hiker

[ New ]

In my case I cannot quit the Webcam software.

Tourist

[ New ]

This fixed it.  I installed the latest software 1.0.224 and now it works correctly.  

Tourist

[ New ]

@waynew-hero wrote:

I just got my HERO9, exactly same setup as you, except that Iʻm still on OSX 10.14.x (Mojave) and first attempt to connect HERO9 (previously used HERO8) was as you described - no preview (AND the Camera detected USB connected but was not in WebCam mode...

I quit/restarted the WebCam Software (v1.0.224), turned on my HERO9 and plugged into USB port, it all satrted working.  HERO9 went into webcam mode, OSX webcam utility showed not blue dot but a red dot, and preview was working....    Unclear if webcam untilty had to reset from HERO8 use or if connect order turning on HERO9 first then plugging into USB was the issue.  Now that itʻs connected once, it seems it always works regardless of start order...

This fixed it.  I installed the latest software 1.0.224 and now it works correctly.

Hiker

[ New ]

default 14:18:37.641523 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC Enabling TLS [1:0x6040001774c0]

default 14:18:37.641576 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TCP Conn Start [1:0x6040001774c0]

default 14:18:37.641740 -0700 GoPro Webcam Task <59D4EC0A-C0B8-4345-B446-C0E6534B3BC3>.<1> setting up Connection 1

default 14:18:37.643059 -0700 GoPro Webcam [1 <private> <private>] start

default 14:18:38.002794 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TLS Event [1:0x6040001774c0]: 2, Pending(0)

default 14:18:38.243692 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TLS Event [1:0x6040001774c0]: 11, Pending(0)

default 14:18:38.244823 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TLS Event [1:0x6040001774c0]: 12, Pending(0)

default 14:18:38.245998 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TLS Event [1:0x6040001774c0]: 14, Pending(0)

default 14:18:38.331617 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TLS Trust Result [1:0x6040001774c0]: 0

default 14:18:38.534296 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TLS Event [1:0x6040001774c0]: 20, Pending(0)

default 14:18:38.534495 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TCP Conn Connected [1:0x6040001774c0]: Err(16)

default 14:18:38.534751 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TCP Conn Event [1:0x6040001774c0]: 1

default 14:18:38.534774 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TCP Conn Event [1:0x6040001774c0]: 8

default 14:18:38.534876 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TLS Handshake Complete [1:0x6040001774c0]

default 14:18:39.125879 -0700 GoPro Webcam Task <59D4EC0A-C0B8-4345-B446-C0E6534B3BC3>.<1> now using Connection 1

default 14:18:39.126630 -0700 GoPro Webcam Task <59D4EC0A-C0B8-4345-B446-C0E6534B3BC3>.<1> sent request, body S

default 14:18:39.333866 -0700 GoPro Webcam Task <59D4EC0A-C0B8-4345-B446-C0E6534B3BC3>.<1> received response, status 200 content K

default 14:18:39.334013 -0700 GoPro Webcam Task <59D4EC0A-C0B8-4345-B446-C0E6534B3BC3>.<1> response ended

default 14:18:40.898247 -0700 GoPro Webcam client:#E XPC Connection invalidated; possibly a sandbox block?

default 14:18:40.898528 -0700 GoPro Webcam XPC connection invalidated (daemon unloaded or disabled)

default 14:18:42.130952 -0700 GoPro Webcam LSExceptions shared instance invalidated for timeout.

default 14:19:39.399721 -0700 GoPro Webcam TIC TCP Conn Cancel [1:0x6040001774c0]

default 14:19:39.400018 -0700 GoPro Webcam [1 <private> stream, pid: 431, url: https://in.appcenter.ms/logs?api-version=1.0.0, tls] cancelled

[1.1 22886740-7E68-474B-B1B5-D834040C415E <private>.49200<-><private>]

Connected Path: satisfied (Path is satisfied), interface: en1, ipv4, ipv6, dns

Duration: 61.756s, DNS @0.000s took 0.109s, TCP @0.112s took 0.144s, TLS took 0.634s

bytes in/out: 5439/1206, packets in/out: 6/4, rtt: 0.149s, retransmitted packets: 0, out-of-order packets: 0

Hiker

[ New ]

It seems the desktop application gets stuck while starting up. I am still unable to quit the app. I can only kill it from the command line.

Hiker

[ New ]

Am running MacBook Pro with Mojave on - have GoPro 9 with updated firmware and download of Web Cam App v 1.0.224 - I have turned on and off, installed sveral times, swapped cables, swapped usb ports - I get no blue dot - not once.  Is omething being done about this - this is a claim, being able to use as a web cam - but there seems to be alot of people here struggling to make this work - what's the situation wit hthis please, and is there an anticipated fix of the software...?

Thanks

Tb

Sightseer

[ New ]
I had these same issues; only when I updated OSX to Catalina did the app work. I’m not sure if that is the only solution, and I wouldn’t know since no one at GoPro seems to think it’s important to rectify or communicate to their customers.
Tourist

[ New ]

私のヒーロー9でも同じ問題が発生しています

OSXバージョン:10.15.6 Catalina

ウェブカメラユーティリティバージョン:1.0.224

ファームウェアバージョン:1.21

goproWebcCam ユーティリティに認識されない

Sightseer

[ New ]

Iam in the same predicament here. Imac 2011 High Sierra, Firmware updated on Gopro Hero 9, latest Webcam software installed. The webcam app does not detect the camera and the app doesn't let me quit it. The camera is detected by my imac so i know its not a cabling issue. Has there been a workaround yet for High Sierra users??

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have a GoPro Hero8 and the Webcam used to work well.  Blue light, connected in Zoom, Camtasia, well and those were my primary apps for integration.  Currently, it is not work.  Just stopped working the other day. 

All components (Webcam App, Camera, and Computer O/S) are running the latest version:

Webcam is running version 1.0.244

GoPro Hero8 is updated with the latest patch 02.01.00

MacOS is on the latest version with all patches applied MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021)

Cables have been swapped, lots of rebooting and turning on / connecting / disconnecting / different cables / different computers...

Something is clearly broken with the Webcap component or the way it is communicating to the GoPro camera.

Hopefully this will be fixed at some point.  As I am on a Mac Mini, this was my official Webcam.  Not so much now.

:(

Tourist

[ New ]

Im also having problems using my new GoPro 9 as Webcam running the latest versions available. The GoPro Webcam mac app does not show any blue dot, and all the menu options for it are greyed out.

Running...

1. MacBookPro 16", MacOS Catalina version 10.15.7

2. GoPro Webcam mac app version 1.0.224

3. GoPro 9 Black camera version 01.21.00

I've tried with multiple different cables, different USB-ports, even different MacBook Pro laptops.

I've reinstalled the GoPro Webcam mac app & rebooted my MacBook several times, but still no blue light :(

Highly disappointing! 

Please help/advice!

Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 11.16.50.png
Tourist

[ New ]

Finally, I found out how to get it to work!!!

I have a VPN app running on my MacBook Pro, called "LockDown", that denies suspicious HTTP-request (ads/marketing/etc).

When I disable this the VPN app, the GoPro webcam app on my MacBook Pro, works as expected.

So I can finally use the GoPro 9 as a webcam which is great :) 

BUT......now I'm worried that GoPro webcam app needs my VPN to be disabled in order to work, WHY? Im I being tracked?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Mine wasnt working and i read your post. Realised i had VPN connected. Disconnected VPN and GoPro went from USB Connected to Webcam mode instantly.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi ! I'm also dealing to make it work.

GoPro 9 with 1.0.224 and MacOS 10.15.7.

Only works with Chrome. Not in Firefox or Safari. Using with Google Meet it freezes image randomly and I have to restart. When I access to Google Meet sometimes detects webcam, sometime not.

Is not usable, and it's a feature that I need and I buy it to use it too as a webcam :-(

Tourist

[ New ]

I spent hours trying to troubleshoot this same thing. I was so fed up I was about to return the GoPro and get a significantly cheaper camera to use as a webcam. I ended up doing a factory reset on the GoPro, and it worked. The preview came right up. I was still, however, unable to use it on anything in the Safari browser, so I downloaded Chrome, and that worked just fine. Hope it helps. 

Tourist

Betreff: Webcam/Preview not working with Hero 9 on macOS

[ New ]

Vorab, ich habe einige Kameras und Webcams, die alle problemlos funktionieren, auch habe ich eine DSLR über einen Dongle als StreamKamera installieren können. Nur bei der Go Pro geht gar nichts... Meine GoPro wird weder als Webcam noch als Datenspeicher beim Anschluss über das mitgelieferte USB Kabel an mein Macbook erkannt.
Die GoPro Webcam Mac App zeigt keinen blauen Punkt an und alle Menüoptionen dafür sind ausgegraut.

Laufen...
1. MacBookPro 15 ", MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6, USB3-ports
2. GoPro Webcam Mac App Version 1.0.224
3. GoPro Hero9 Black Kamera

Ich habe es mit mehreren verschiedenen Kabeln, verschiedenen USB-Anschlüssen versucht.

Ich habe die GoPro Webcam Mac App neu installiert, ein Update auf die GoPro gespielt und sie wieder auf Werkseinstellungen zurückgesetzt und mein MacBook mehrmals neu gestartet, aber immer noch kein blaues Licht Smiley Sad

Bitte dringend um Hilfe!

Tourist

[ New ]
Versuchen Sie, den USB-Verbindungsmodus mit gopro connect anstelle des MTP-USB-Geräts zu verbinden. Ich habe mich damit verbessert
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for getting back, unfortunately this won't solve the issue, tried both modes already without progress...

cheerio

Tourist

[ New ]
I have exactly the same problem. Tried everything suggested here and nothing works. There must be a bug in the app. Can only hope GoPro come up with an update soon.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem here. Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7, Gopro 9, Webcam app v1.0.224

If I can't get this running then the camera will go back for a refund :(

Hiker

[ New ]
I'm also having the issue described where you can't stop the webcam app. Force quit seems to work, but one should not need to do that. I'm on High Sierra.
Tourist

[ New ]

Tengo el mismo problema y no consigo que funcione mi GoPro Hero 9. Lo solucionaste?

Hiker

[ New ]

cómo me gustaría que fuera tan fácil como eso !!!

he reiniciado y cambiado el orden en multiples ocasiones y mismo resultado...

Hiker

[ New ]

hi, I also have a VPN to connect to my company LAN but it is not running always. And despite not having it running, I cannot get the red dot, why? Just see the gopro icon

Tourist

[ New ]

This is disgraceful. No reply from any of the Experts at GoPro. Read a fair load of complaints about this. I spent today 3h resseting the GP9 Trying diferent things, firewalls, antivirus etc..and still not working. Tbh, I dont want this camera anymore. Bought it 3months ago and still have the same issues. 

Using a Mac, Catalina 10.15.7 and original cable. Latest GoPro Webcam app version for Mac

Jus cant understand how abandoned we are by this bunch of losers at GoPro. Had enough. Happy New Year.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I share information when Webcam runs successfully.

1. Turn off Wi-Fi on mac <= Maybe it's important.

2. Run GoPro Webcam.app

3. Connect GoPro to mac

You can see a blue dot.

4. Click show preview

5. Turn on Wi-Fi

Environment

- MacBook Air (Early 2015), MacOS Big Sur version 11.1

- GoPro Webcam mac app version 1.0.224

- GoPro 9 Black camera version 01.50

Hiker

[ New ]

my wish it was so simple as turning off and on the wifi. it did not work for me.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Salut à tous :)

J'ai trouvé une solution pour ma part et je sais pas si ça fonctionnera pour les GoPro Hero 8... Pour la 9, il y a une option dans les paramètre. Il faut aller dans connexions et mettre gopro connect au lieu de MTP... Voilà :)

Tourist

[ New ]

Mac - Big Sur 11.2.3

Go Pro  - 9 (Latest Feb update)

No VPN in use

Tried:

• Changing cables and ports - no change
  • With and without battery/sd card - no change
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling GoPro Wecam App (Many, many times) - no change
  • Restarting Mac (many, many times)
  • Wifi on and off (many times for mac, Go Pro and router)
  • Go Pro factory reset - no change

Come on GoPro - get to grips with this!

Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 17.28.59.png
Hiker

[ New ]

I have given up on GoPro software. The quality control is mediocre.

I now use the Reincubate Camo app for my phone as a webcam instead.

Tourist

[ New ]

私も同じでした。

Hero9

HighSierra

Webcamアプリケーション1.0.224

MacBook Pro2017

そして諦めました。

MacOSをMojaveにアップデートしました。

MojaveはHero9を認識しました。

しかし

「Teams」「Skype」「Zoom」「FaceTime」はHero9を見つけられません。←Now

Sightseer

[ New ]

Do not work on my MAC Big Sur.

Already did:

Gopro Connect

Reinstall the webcam program 2x

Update the hero9 (manually) 2x

3 different cables tested.

Directly USB-C cabe

Without Battery or SD

Wi-Fi on and off

Captura de Tela 2021-04-21 às 13.26.10.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

If you continue to get the same after installing the latest version of the app and going through the steps on GoPro Webcam FAQ and Troubleshooting, please let our Support Team check on this further,

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

i have been contacted by tech support of GoPro 3 times. We have gone through the step by step. Nothing. as per the guidelines, my issue (can just seen the gopro logo) es either related to the firewall or the cable used (USB 3.0, or 3.1.). Cable is used elsewhere and gopro works as webcam. Firewall is disabled but it looks to me as the root cause... which i still cannot resolve 

Tourist

[ New ]

Since the latest upgrade, my camera connects quickly to the webcam and is active but all I and my clients can see is the GoPro logo on the screen.  I have tried it on Microsoft surface and hp envy laptops and neither is working.  I have uninstalled the gopro utility apps more times than necessary and still nothing.

Is there a fix for this?

Sightseer

[ New ]

WOW!

I did some changes to my network adapter and the gopro webcam stop working...I had to rollback to the previous setup and the gopro is available again 

Captura de Pantalla 2021-06-08 a la(s) 14.41.08.png
Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi All

After much pain, I have solved the issue on my set up;

Mac late 2013_Mojave 10.14.6

GoPro WebCam app 1.1.319

GoPro Camera Firmware 1.6

GoPro Hero 9 Black

The steps were as follows;

Open System Prefrences - Security & Privacy - Firewall - Unlock To Make changes - Input Password - Firewall Options - Deselect_Block all incoming connections - Click the + button - Choose GoPro Webcam app - Click OK.

It worked for me, I hope this helps someone here.

Good luck.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Yup it worked, just give the access to gopro webcam app on the firewall setting.

Note: Don't forget to tun the firewall back on

Thanks.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

It seems ridiculous that this is 'the fix' and GoPro does not have this information easily available in the instructions / or have let us kno0w in the posts.....I'm going to give it a try with a Hero 9 on a MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.5......(after checking for GoPro updates of course) fingers are crossed!  If not, I'm with an earlier poster....it'll be Fleabay time!

Tourist

[ New ]

All I was able to do was have Zoom/Skype/Hangouts, provide GoPro as an alternative camera, when selected, no camera of me looking into it, but a fixed screen with GoPro logos...COME ON GOPRO PROVIDE A SERVICE THAT'S BEEN PAID FOR!!!!!!

Also, still no access to the settings etc in the app, only 'preferences' with resolution options.....this is below poor for such an expensive piece of kit

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 12.00.46.png
Tourist

[ New ]
After reading about 2 days straight about this issue and trying not only all the solutions mentioned in gopro support +youtube+reddit+blogs+uncle Sam portfolio,Google, Yahoo, I expanded my research to almost having any information on the web + dark web. I had hundreds not thousands of tabs open and had my full attention to the point that I thought I am going to learn how to code this Webcam feature, but then I changed my mind and decided to write this post and call the Win version of Webcam app for GoPro 9 an absolute TRASH. i am not going to throw my GoPro to trash but yes I thought about it and after seeing when this issue started( almost a decade ago) I stopped hoping for the team assigned to this project, I think in the page to download the Webcam they should add a line with a huge font saying: try it. if it works it works. if doesn’t GIVE UP and save your time. Relax. Watch a movie. Forget about it. Life is good. By the way I would rather die if I ever have to stay on the phone for another decade and going through steps I already know. not die but you get it, it’s 3:29 AM and I have a midterm at 9 i havent study nothing but its okay. Piece ya’ll!