Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Highlighted
Sightseer

Using multiple GoPro Hero Black 8 as webcams.

Has anyone been able to use more than one as different webcam feed? I was able to get 3 connected but it detects the camera feed as 1 and blends all 3 images together. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Using multiple GoPro Hero Black 8 as webcams.

Make sure you don't have multiple cameras connected to the same USB bus. If you are connecting devices on the same USB Bus, the system will only recognize one device. 

This is why clean HDMI output is almost a necessity. With clean HDMI I would be able to use a BlackMagic Design ATEM Mini to control all of my HDMI-capable cameras. I purchased a Hero 8 hoping to use it as a webcam for OBS Studio, and that idea crashed like the Hindenberg. I'm now looking at a BlackMagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K as a replacement to the GoPro since it isn't capable of handling any HDMI output. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks! I have each GoPro connected via USB-C lightning to its own slot on my MacBook Pro. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Each side is supposed to be its own bus, and thunderbolt supports thunderbolt device addressing but since its usb it may not work correctly. That’s my educated guess
Highlighted
Tourist

Gopro sells a media mod for the hero8 with HDMI-output. Did you try that?
Highlighted
Hiker

Macs don’t have hdmi capture and the media mod won’t do clean HDMI out either. It’s a limitation of USB-C data spec and intels USB bus.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Yes, I have a Media Mod on 2 of the GPs. But a Capture card is needed to use HDMI out, I was trying to avoid that.

Highlighted
Sightseer

it also defeats the purpose of the webcam update.