Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
GoPro Community Manager

Introducing the GoPro Webcam Beta

[ New ]

HERO8 Black now doubles as a durable, mountable, ultra-high-quality webcam with a beta camera firmware update and new desktop utility – no third-party accessories required.

GoPro Webcam is for both the traditional and the creative home "offices" because not everyone is streaming from a desk. It's the personal chefs, art teachers and fitness instructors who will now be able to unlock a world of new perspectives within video conferencing so viewers – be it friends, family or clients – are so intimately involved that they can practically taste, touch or even feel the burn from whatever is being shared.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Introducing the GoPro Webcam Beta

[ New ]

GoPro Webcam mode uses a new protocal called GoPro Connect.  The Quik Desktop app uses MTP.  You can re-enable MTP by going to Preferences -> Connections -> USB Connection and switching from GoPro Connect to MTP.  Note this will disable GoPro Webcam.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Sightseer

[ New ]
Very nice to see all the improvements and innovations with the Hero8. Sadly it seems the webcam software does not include windows os.
GoPro

[ New ]

We are working on it! 

Sightseer

[ New ]
This is awesome! hopefully it will be soon. I literally almost bought a used cam link 4k from ebay for like $150 which is absurd!
Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks for finally making this feature available. I worked with Daryl from support to get this working on High Sierra, and suggest that you make High Sierra part of the next release. Lots of folks are still actively using High Sierra because Catalina has caused many multimedia shops a lot of trouble with upgrades specific to our industry. Also, please consider that many folks have old GoPros that are practically unusable as adventure cams because of the deteriorated battery life. These can, however, be very good webcams. I'm thinking here of the Hero 5 Session, which also has USB-C. It would be great if the webcam feature was available there. Here's hoping GoProWebcam gets out of Beta soon, and into the standard firmware update!
Tourist

[ New ]
Is it only available for the Hero 8?
Hiker

[ New ]
@macribas wrote: Is it only available for the Hero 8? According to their site, it's just for Hero 8. But I am hoping they go back to Hero 5 Session with this too. Guess we'll see. Up to now, the workarounds to get this to work were horrible. I tried several of them and have been watching this topic keenly for several months.
Tourist

[ New ]
This is awesome. How does the audio get recorded. I don't see a way to use the GoPro Audio as a source. You can also record the GoPro using QuickTime under new movie recording. Again no auido. If you use a seperate audio mic there is a sync issue.
Hiker

Rif.: Introducing the GoPro Webcam Beta

[ New ]
But this update is not compatible with the one on the QR codes is it? Does one replace the other?
Tourist

[ New ]
<p>Can you provide support on how to make this work with Mac OS High Sierra?</p>
Tourist

[ New ]
Great, the webcam it works like a charm.
But now it's not recognised by Quik, do you have a beta for Quik for mac as well? Thank you!
Sightseer

[ New ]

Any idea when the windows version will be ready?

GoPro

[ New ]

GoPro Webcam mode uses a new protocal called GoPro Connect.  The Quik Desktop app uses MTP.  You can re-enable MTP by going to Preferences -> Connections -> USB Connection and switching from GoPro Connect to MTP.  Note this will disable GoPro Webcam.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you @daryls2154 but I don't have that option on Mac

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi GoPro team,

Thanks for this it's awesome!  Any Idea's why it might not be working with Skype?  I can see and use the Hero8 in Teams but not in Skype.

Have tried all the usual stuff like switching everything Off/On again, rebooting, restarting SW ect. 

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5

Skype for Mac 8.62.0.85

Is there a way to generate a diagnostic log?

Sightseer

[ New ]
@daryls2154 Curious if this could be coming to other GoPro models as well. There are many articles about getting it to work all the way back to the Hero4 with video capture cards, but those are very expensive. Can you shed any light on whether this is planned or being discussed?
GoPro

[ New ]

The instructions I gave to switch to MTP are for the back LCD off the camera.  You make that change in the camera preferences.  (Swipe down to access the Preferences menu). 

GoPro

[ New ]
@theavjedi can you try accessing Skype through Chrome?

The latest version of Skype Desktop app for macOS removed Virtual Webcam support, and other webcams and webcam software are not compatible as well.

I personally use Skype through Chrome, and it works without issues.

Olders versions of Skype for desktop work, it seems like they removed functionality in a recent build.
Tourist

[ New ]

Surely at least the 7 Black could be supported. Only a year older than the 8 and just as capable.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi frozoneprod, currently using the audio from the camera isn't available.
Tourist

[ New ]

+1 this doesn't work on Mac OS High Sierra, please advise? it just shows a USB symbol on the camera front, "USB connected" on rear. No blue dot in app, no camera connected in app. 

Preview in app options becomes available but then just hangs. Tried several USB cables and wasted a lot of time.

What gives?!

Tourist

[ New ]
Sightseer

[ New ]

Really - no windows version??

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks Daryl, I'll give that a try.

Sightseer

[ New ]

When can we expect the Windows OS

Tourist

[ New ]

@jefft  ha escrito:

HERO8 Black now doubles as a durable, mountable, ultra-high-quality webcam with a beta camera firmware update and new desktop utility – no third-party accessories required.

GoPro Webcam is for both the traditional and the creative home "offices" because not everyone is streaming from a desk. It's the personal chefs, art teachers and fitness instructors who will now be able to unlock a world of new perspectives within video conferencing so viewers – be it friends, family or clients – are so intimately involved that they can practically taste, touch or even feel the burn from whatever is being shared.

Muchísimas gracias. Es una funcionalidad que he esperado. Me ha funcionado muy bien, a pesar que todavía es versión beta, aún no he obtenido ningún error. Agradezco por el esfuerzo que ustedes hacen por mantenernos siempre actualizados. Ahora ya podré realizar mis video-conferencias con la mayor calidad que solo GoPro ofrece.

Saludos cordiales!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi All,

I just bought the camera (Go Pro 8 Hero Black) because of this feature (webcam with a good resolution). However, it only worked with Zoom in my experiments. 

I tried it on Skype, and as @theavjedi mentioned, it did not work. I also tried on ScreenFlow, and it also did not work.

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5

Skype for Mac 8.62.0.85

Screenflow 9.0.4

Is it also possible to use it on FaceTime? In my FaceTime I was not able to use it.

Please, update the app to allow us to use it on Skype and Softwares like ScreenFlow. I can see the video in ScreenFlow, but when I start the recording, I received the an error (attached).

Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 20.51.41.png
Hiker

[ New ]
@leonardoribeiro Sadly, NO ONE should buy a GoPro just because of this BETA released webcam feature. I have been following this topic for months, way before the feature came out. GoPro is way behind the curve on this, and is stumbling to fix a lot of things that cheaper cameras do much better. I *did* get the Beta working with OBS, but there's still issues (like no audio). Wait for the feature to mature, then make a decision! Buyer beware!
Tourist

[ New ]

@nobledusk06736 of course, this was not the main reason why I bought the camera. However, it was one of the reasons.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Windows ...
When? When? When? When? When? When? When?
Please, tell us when!
Sightseer

[ New ]

I second the questions from the others. A windows version would be amazing and something I desperately need. Is there an aproximate ETA? 

Thanks,

R

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, the Skype App is not working at the moment, but it will Sype work via Chrome

Tourist

[ New ]

The USB connect option to allow the camera to be recognized by Quik Desktop can be changed via the LCD on the back of camera.

Preferences -> Connections -> USB Connection -> MTP

Tourist

[ New ]

It's a bit shame that a titan of cameras like Gopro only release Mac support....  first of all, a spec like this should be available "from the house" many time ago, specially when there's people making 3º party MTP software (under payment), making money because the "house" dont release this.

But its specially bad that u launch (finally) the feature, and u dont throw it for Windows.. wtf guys? wait till u got both version or betas ready and then launch it for all you users... I know Gopro is from USA and Mac is very popular there, but Gopro is available worldwide... and in "worldwide" 90% of users are windows. Please, more than 10? 15? days since mac launch, and windows users still 0 news, thats pretty bad.

And again, still worst, covid times... people in home... you know... You can't do this.... Seriously, and I repeat its annoying having HDMI bridgets solutions...  or 3º party MTP paid softwares, and the official company can't launch a webcam support for windows for the one of the most premium/expensive action camera on market... 

Sorry If I sound rude, not my intenttion but guys, please... 

Sightseer

[ New ]
Es algo muy bueno sin embargo hicieron un desastre con esa actualización.

Al instalarla sí pude ver la vista previa pero en Skype no funciona, en FaceTime tampoco y lo peor es que ya no aparecía la cámara para que con Captura de imagen o GoPro Quick pudiera pasar los archivos grabados con la GoPro aside que tuve que instalar el Firmware de enero 2020 en mi GoPro 8 para que todo vuelva a la normalidad.

NO INSTALEN ESE FIRMWARE PARA WEBCAM HASTA QUE FUNCIONE CORRECTAMENTE. Si tienen dudas tengo actualizada mi iMac a la ultima versión del macOS (a este momento) Catalina 10.15.6 así como Skype.

Puede ser una gran función como webcam pero que funcione o de menos avisen que como es Beta vamos a dejar de tener ciertas funciones básicas y así no nos hacen perder el tiempo.
Tourist

[ New ]

Curious how you got it working with OBS.  I get a black screen when in OBS adding as a video capture device. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Hello!! I have a GoPro Hero 8 and when I connect to my Macbook Pro 2011 / Catalina it restarts immediately! My USB bus port is 2.0. Do you know if there is any way to fix this problem? My problem is exactly what is being shown in the video below:
⚠️Solución al problema https://youtu.be/aiTmNsFyP3E⚠️Después de 10 reinicios conectada funciono WEb app y Fireware: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introdu...
Sightseer

[ New ]
Where is it?
Hiker

[ New ]

Estou esperando que a opção de webcan para windows saia logo.

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't know where else to provide feedback for the beta, so here it is:

1. This app desperately needs to drop frames every now and then. Sometimes the frame buffer fills my memory and crashes my machine. You can also see the lag in the preview/video conferance app (in this case teams). I've clocked the lag at time to over a minute, which is quite humurous on confernce calls. 
  2. Coming back from sleep, I have to restart my gopro and the app to be able to get it to work again. 

Those are my main gripes, but other than that the compliments I get for the picture quality are well worth the trouble!

Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hello Jefft, 
Thanks for this important update!
I have seen a lot of people ask when will come out the version for Windows. Unfortunately, I did not see that they were answered.

I understand it is currently in development, but we would still be very happy if you could give us an estimated time (with no commitment of course).
Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

My Macbook Pro 2011 is restarting when i connect my GPH8 on usb port (2.0). Do U have some idea how to fix this issue?

Tourist

Rif.: Introducing the GoPro Webcam Beta

[ New ]

Should have released for both Windows and MacOS platforms at the same time! That would've been the righ thing to do.

Tourist

[ New ]

Buying a Hero8 for the possiblility of a webcam wasn't the primary (or even secondary) reason I jumped - BUT, it seemed to kill a couple birds with one stone, if you will. Now, it is my fault I didn't look closer at the lack of a Windows release (as of yet), even in beta, I figured if there was a Mac release there was no way a company would release one OS support and not the other. Anyway, lesson learned, read the fine print. Mac computers are great and do the job they are meant to do; however, Windows... But, I digress. So, even a hint of when a beta (I'll even alpha test for you) version might be out? I was hoping to use it for a large webinar I'll be hosting soon. Yeah, probably not going to happen - so the audience will have to live with staring up my nose from the built in webcam of my Dell. Hint, hint? Thanks, all!

Sightseer

[ New ]

hurry up , we need  GoPro Webcam Desktop Utility  for windows during lockdown period