Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Tourist

Hero8 as Webcam over FaceTime on Mac?!

[ New ]

Hi everybody,

Firmware update and software installation worked well, the webcam function is working fine on my MAC.

But how can I set the Hero8 as a webcam in FaceTime on MAC? According to the website FaceTime is supported.

Thanks

David

GoPro

Re: Hero8 as Webcam over FaceTime on Mac?!

[ New ]

Hello @radioema. Did you already set the GoPro as the camera to use under FaceTime's settings menu? Also, check out this article Introducing GoPro Webcam Beta for more information.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi, thanks but i already followed all of these steps. The GoPro shows up in Zoom perfectly and it is selectable. In FaceTime the GoPro doesn’t show up at all in the setting menu. There isn’t even a possibility of choosing any webcam. On the Apple site it is mentioned that there are only other Webcams selectable if they are connected properly
. So I guess that Facetime doesn’t recognize the GoPro although it is connected and generally working. Do you have any idea?
Thank you!
Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm having the same issue and was wondering if there was an extra step missing for facetime or photobooth. Thanks!

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 11.03.07 PM.png
Tourist

[ New ]
Dear GoPro team, do you have any idea how to solve this issue? Thanks a lot
Tourist

[ New ]

I have the exact same problem. I'm able to use my GP Hero8 as a webcam with Skype online (not the app on my iMac). Can't figure out how to use it with Facetime.

Any help is welcome !  ;-)

Sightseer

[ New ]

En las aplicaciones indicadas por GoPro NO está FaceTime y por cierto, en este momento Skype tampoco funciona con la GoPro

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue. I tried on macOS Catalina and macOS Big Sur. Not working on multiple computers.

Tourist

[ New ]

This one has me a little puzzled.  

I have a Mac Mini that shows alternate webcams in FT, but my MacBook Pro doesn't.  Both running the same version of MacOS.  

Trying to figure out why FT is acting differently.

Sightseer

[ New ]
What OS is your Mac Mini running?
Tourist

[ New ]

Did anyone find more information about this? I moved on from the laptops to a mac mini a while ago and have still have not been able to find a way to use Apples Facetime with an external camera; I even tried  software-based solutions available via the iPhone app store .. when that didn't work. I asked the developer for help on that app he wrote back and said Apple removed support for 3rd party camera's a while ago. Still, I'm not sure if that was just relating to software cameras.   I would like to get this working. Cheers! Daz

Nomad

[ New ]

Replying to Paulina message or comment above who states that gopro does not work with skype..  Sorry but yes it does been using skype since the release of the mac app without any issues. It works with skype,zoom,and even Facebooks messenger video chat. 

@paulinav66625 wrote:

En las aplicaciones indicadas por GoPro NO está FaceTime y por cierto, en este momento Skype tampoco funciona con la GoPro

Tourist

[ New ]

Replying to ricky138 about Skype. For me, it works when I use the Skype website (skype.com) but NOT with the Skype app on my Mac (iMac with Mac OS Catalina)... Is it the same for you ?

Tourist

[ New ]

Looks like GoPro created another useless app. GoPro web cam doesnt work with Mac facetime or skype. Brilliant...(useless)

Hiker

[ New ]

what OS do you have Big Sur or Catalina?

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm using Catalina and I'm also experiencing this issue. The GoPro app is detected by Zoom but not by Skype or by Facetime. Very frustrating since the GoPro is a much better camera.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Glad I'm not the only one. Can't believe how poor GoPro is, started to wish I didn't waste my money. By the way, I thought I changed my username from this weird one allocated automatically. Can GoPro get anything right??

Tourist

[ New ]
Mate a little harsh, the GoPro is an awesome camera, I think the limitation with FaceTime on the Mac is the Apple API, they don’t allow third party apps which surprises me as the face forward camera on the Mac is garbage, compared to the GoPro. It’s a shame the companies can’t work this out . Still does not work

Tourist

[ New ]
I totally agree with you, there is no reason why it should not work. Meanwhile I sold my Hero9 on eBay due to the significant weaker video image quality than its predecessors. I bought an Insta360 One X2 instead and talking about WebCam mode, you just plug in this camera into the Mac and FaceTime is recognizing it automatically as a WebCam you don’t even have to install a driver...
Without words...
Tourist

[ New ]
Im sure GoPro can get it done by reflecting on their proven strengths when it comes to design and software. GoPros still are awesome cameras and as soon as they get those issues done I would definitely consider to purchase a Hero model again in the future.
Sightseer

[ New ]

So it's July 2021 and this web camera app is still an issue and not being recognized by macs. 

Eat a D go pro, this should not be this hard in this day and age. 

I have a $300-$400 camera that has immense computing power but the developers behind it have not even fixed this seemingly simple software fix to work with facetime. 

I bought a mac mini with the new apple M chip because of its superior editing to use with my go pro. 

AND because I could use my go pro as my webcam since that machine does not have one built in one. 

It also appears that zoom will not use the microphone on the go pro for audio on video calls.

Anyone else discover this? Is there a work around on a mac mini?  

Guess I could check out some other adventure cameras to see how they stack up with plug and play for all the things I need a camera beside my mobile phone for.....

Sad that no one from Go Pro has chimed in on this 20 post thread over almost a year. 

Also they ended computer support and use of Quik. Another huge oversite to how much users like that. I loved the way that quik organized the files structure when you download, edit, and save footage. 

So now I have to use the smallest screen I own to edit my go pro footage OR have to use another editing software to download, store, edit, and resave. 

Quik was half the reason I loved my go pro. 

Over it.....

glad I never bought one of their drones.......

Sightseer

[ New ]

If you read the rest of the comments you will see this does not work.  The Facetime app does not recognize GoPro cameras.  What other suggestions do you have?

Tourist

[ New ]

This thread is now more about just gaining a response from the developers and hoping for an update to what seems is a .9 app, bring it to a status to something usable on the mac. With that said, I did use it for MS teams meeting at one point, and the camera got very hot,  so overall, I don't think it would perform very well (perhaps they realised that and never added it )