Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Tourist

HERO8 Black Webcam No Video Preview

[ New ]

My Hero 8 Black is recognized as plugged into my computer as I am able to see it in the Mac system report. It is a Apple Macbook 2017 12-inch retina with USB C 3.1 port. A USB C to A 3.1 cable. I have installed the webcam beta software on the camera and received the check mark for completion. I have installed the go pro desktop utility and see it in my task tray. However, the camera is not detected when plugged in by the go pro desktop utility with a blue dot. When I launch Zoom, I do see GoPro Webcam as an available camera source and then the blue dot appears in the GoPro task tray. However, when I enable the video, the display only shows a GoPro image that is inverted. The drop down in the GoPro task tray only has Prefences and Quit as available selections. Also, the words Starting Webcam... show up in grayed out letters. I cannot select Show Preview or Digital Lens. I went to System Settings -> Security & Privacy. GoPro is not an available option in the list of options, not in the sub-selections for Camera. Also, the firewall is disabled. The Hero 8 Black does not show up in the system preferences network configurations, and it is not seen as an option if I try to manually add it.

I have used another computer (Macbook Pro 2019 16-inch) with the same cable and camera and the same issue persists with the steps and troubleshooting above. I also used a USB C to A 3.1 cable with my monitors built in USB 3.0 hub and the problem persisted. If anyone has seen this issue, would really appreciate your help. 

System: Macbook 12-inch 2017 Retina Catalina 10.15.6 (1 USB C port)
Cable: USB C to C 3.1
GoPro Webcam Desktop Utility: 1.0.196
Zoom: 5.2.1 (44040.0816)

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 3.08.39 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 3.09.39 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 3.09.06 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 3.09.15 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 3.08.50 PM.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: HERO8 Black Webcam No Video Preview

[ New ]

With the help of Cezar on GoPro Support (huge shout out man!) the issue was the firmware downloaded was not the correct version. The version should read 01.90 on your GoPro (Preferences -> About -> Camera Info). Mine was still on 01.60 despite receiving the check box that the update had been successful on the GoPro. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]

With the help of Cezar on GoPro Support (huge shout out man!) the issue was the firmware downloaded was not the correct version. The version should read 01.90 on your GoPro (Preferences -> About -> Camera Info). Mine was still on 01.60 despite receiving the check box that the update had been successful on the GoPro. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hola !!

Tengo exactamente el mismo problema. No consigo verlo en vista previa, ni está accesible para mi zoom. Como encontraste la solución?

Hiker

[ New ]

hi, i am on version 2.00 and it does not work. App is ok, blue dot is there but preview does not work

Sightseer

[ New ]

Ich nutze Avast als Schutzsoftware (unter anderem auch Schutz gegen das ausspionieren der Webcam) und genau hier liegt das Problem sowohl Avast also auch die Sicherheitssoftware von Win 10 blocken den Zugriff. 

Ich hatte für ne Sekunde das ganz normale Bild beim deaktivieren von Avast bis dann Win 10 das ganze geblockt hat. Noch hab ich keine Lösung aber zumindest ist mal das Problem logalisiert.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Did you figure out what setting is causing it?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Nein, ich hab aufgegeben das ganze funktioniert hinten und vorne nicht. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I had this issue for a long time, then I was reviewing the network settings on my MBP I found my Hero8 IP address 172.26.186.54 one of my VPN's was running a firewall service blocking this IP address, so removed the service and my camera started working. I've got a preview instead of the GOPRO LOGO. maybe this info can help somebody.

Forgot to mention the VPN was a checkpoint, but to make sure to disable/stop all VPNs give it a try.

Good luck

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 2.07.21 AM.png