Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Tourist

Gopro8 webcam and Intel UHD 620

[ New ]

Hello,

I downloaded the lates webcam client 1.0.0.444.

I upgraded my gopro 8 to the latest firmware.

I successfully set the gopro as a webcam on one of my laptops. But it is not working on the other laptop.

Same cable, same gopro, same firmware, same OS, same webcam verison. Different hardware...

The preview shows only black screen. I tried in different USB slots and the results are the same.

I am unable to use with the laptop with Intel UHD 620 VGA.

I reinstalled the client many times, rebooted the OS, the camera itself. Still no success.

Any idea what I should try?

Thank you

webcam_gopro8.png
Tourist

Re: Gopro8 webcam and Intel UHD 620

[ New ]

Do you know if anybody is reading this from the gopro support?

Maybe I should open a ticket?

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am experiencing the same issue.  I have the Intel UHD 620 graphics card and I can't seem to get the webcam feature working.  When i open the preview it is just a black screen.  I'm using a Gopro Hero 9 with latest firmware.  I would love to have a resolution to this issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have also the same issue with Gopro 8 Black and Intel UHD 620 graphics adapter. I contacted support and they asked me if I have installed needed software and wanted me to reinstall it and other useless stuff. After that they wanted to replace my camera. I tried to give link to this thread, but they were not interested of it.

After I got RMA I had change to test it with other laptop with AMD integrated graphics card and as I guessed, it worked like a charm. Now I contacted support again and I am waiting do they still want to replace the item. I don think that in my unit is a fault that it does not work with intel, but works with amd :/

I would be very interested to know if anybody has managed to get Gopro 8 or 9 Black working with Intel UHD 620. Somehow the adapter should be supported because I tested also with a little bit older laptop and Gopro Webcam noticed already on startup that the older computer's display adapter is not supported.

Tourist

[ New ]

--- Black preview window -problem - resolved at least in my case ---

Short resolution description: Windows Firewall blocked the connection. By disabling Windows firewall everything worked fine.

Long resolution description:
Gopro creates network that is Undefined and by default it falls to network category Public. Factually Windows firewall handles Undefined networks as unconfigured and blocks all traffic. For that reason even when Windows firewall has a rule that allows UDP 8554 in category Public (created by gopro webcam setup), general blocking rule blocks the traffic. The way to fix this is to put the Gopro network to category Private. Next problem was that at least in my Windows I was not able to change the network category from GUI because the network was undefined. I managed to change it by running as administrator "Local Security Policy" -app and from there Network List Manager Policies -> Undefined Networks -> Location type -> Private, closed and rebooted. After that everything works like a charm! And by the way, this does not need a 9-pin blue USB3-cable. It works fine with the 4-pin USB-cable, which came with the camera.

I would like to know if this helps someone.

Tourist

[ New ]

I tried this and it did not work for me. Well, I tried to try this. Not sure how to change the Gopro network to category Private. I went to Firewall>Allow an app through the firewall> and I changed the setting for the GoPro app to Only be on private, instead of on both private and public. Then followed your instructions in "Local Security Policy" , then rebooted. The app got flagged by defender when I opened it, so I allowed it through, plugged in my camera and the blue dot showed for 1 second then went away. That is the same thing it was doing before I changed any of the settings. Also went back into Allow and app through the firewall and it had reverted to both public and private checked, presumeably bc I let the app through when defender flagged it upon opening the app. I am about to send this camera back and get a $30 webcam. I would have enjoyed a multiuse camera that I can unplug from my computer and take out into the world, but I got this thing primarily for a job interview next week, and I have spent hours trying to get it to work to no avail.

@lauril48 wrote:

--- Black preview window -problem - resolved at least in my case ---

Short resolution description: Windows Firewall blocked the connection. By disabling Windows firewall everything worked fine.

Long resolution description:
Gopro creates network that is Undefined and by default it falls to network category Public. Factually Windows firewall handles Undefined networks as unconfigured and blocks all traffic. For that reason even when Windows firewall has a rule that allows UDP 8554 in category Public (created by gopro webcam setup), general blocking rule blocks the traffic. The way to fix this is to put the Gopro network to category Private. Next problem was that at least in my Windows I was not able to change the network category from GUI because the network was undefined. I managed to change it by running as administrator "Local Security Policy" -app and from there Network List Manager Policies -> Undefined Networks -> Location type -> Private, closed and rebooted. After that everything works like a charm! And by the way, this does not need a 9-pin blue USB3-cable. It works fine with the 4-pin USB-cable, which came with the camera.

I would like to know if this helps someone.

Tourist

[ New ]

In my case the blue dot was visible even when the firewall was blocking the traffic. Of course the camera must be on and it's screen should show "USB connected". If you are not able to get the blue dot, maybe you have some other problem.

Regarding the firewall, the firewall rules has nothing to do, until the network generated by gopro is configured in Private network category. Here are some things how to investigate change the network category:

1. Connect gopro camera with bluetooth cable and turn it on

2. Start windows Powershell as administrator (click windows logo, type powershell and right click Poweshell app and run as administrator)

3. Type Get-NetConnectionProfile and hit enter

4. Check the NetworkCategory of the network generated by Gorpo camera. If it is public, the firewall rules are not affecting. You need to change that to Private

5. To set the NetworkCategory to Private type Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias "Ethernet 9" -NetworkCategory Private and hit enter. Note that Ethernet 9 should be changed to your Gopro network name.

6. Check that the NetworkCategory is changed to private by typing Get-NetConnectionProfile

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

We'll have this information checked further.

Can you please share the camera version number and the current Webcam app version installed?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello Ej.

My camera version is 2.50 and GoPro Webcam version is 1.0.0.638.