Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Tourist

Gopro 8 black with beta firmware extremely laggy and unusable with OBS

[ New ]

Hello!

I have set up my Hero 8 black with the beta firmware to try out live streaming.

Meanwhile using Facebook's own live streaming and an external lavmic, both the video and sound quality were great and was no major delay between the two.

However, when switching to OBS, the video feed was lagging like hell, while the external mic was picking up good audio. I'm talking about 10sec lags with the picture falling apart. It was totally unusable.

I'm using a 2012 13inch retina macbook pro, maybe it is outdated and weak? OBS monitors the CPU usage and it never went above 60% though.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tourist

Re: Gopro 8 black with beta firmware extremely laggy and unusable with OBS

[ New ]

High Sierra 10.13.6

Tourist

[ New ]

Confirm, it's very laggy, useless. (MBP2017- Catalina 10.15.6)

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey there. I've had the exact same issue, not only with OBS - Facebook live and even the Preview option through the GoPro Webcam app also seem to do it. It seems to be a lottery - sometimes I get five good minutes before it starts to go pixelated again. As a musician turning to live streams during COVID-19, this is less than ideal!

Pixels

Tourist

[ New ]

I played around with my gopro recently and discovered that when using it wirelessly with Windows, the wireless video stream is really good. My PC is much more powerful anyways. 

Check this tutorial

https://youtu.be/6sVs4PFdxPc

As a musician i suppose you use some kind of mixer or iRig to stream good audio, and with OBS you can compensate for the delay between the video and audio. 

If you only own a mac, i suggest you use an actual webcam (something logitech higher end) as the audio is much more important anyways.

Same for windows if you dont want to risk losing connection when streaming video wirelessly. 

Why use a capture card when you can wirelessly stream your GoPro Hero 7/8 to your computer using an RTMP server. MonaServer is a FREE open source program tha...
Tourist

[ New ]
BTW this picture you attached looks like an impressionist painting :D