Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Tourist

Re: GoPro Webcam for Windows Beta is available!

[ New ]

I solved my problem by upgrading to a better USB cable that support Usb 3.1 and USB 3.2. Also, I found the preview will not display using the NVIDIA GeForce MX250 processor, but will work with the Intel UHD Graphics processor. So far it works with Skype; fingers crossed the system will not crash.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Group is not accepting new members anymore.
Follow links below to download directly.
Download Windows Webcam App here: Windows 10 Required.
https://install.appcenter.ms/orgs/sw-team-devops-rimo/apps/gopro-webcam-for-windows-beta-1/distribut...
Download MacOS version here: MacOS 10.14 or newer required. For GoPro Hero8 Only
https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Use-Your-GoPro-as-a-Webcam/ta-p/665493
Download Firmware here: (or update using the GoPro Mobile App)
https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello there,

I am using GoPro Hero 8 Black camera on Windows 10, and the camera is streaming on 720p. How can I change to 1080p?

I saw this mention in the new fetures list on AppCenter:

"Fixed quality issues that could occur when client app is set to 1080p."

But I can't do this, there is no option to change. What did I wrong or what is the solution, can somebody help me pls?

Hiker

[ New ]

It's been over two months since the last beta update and the software actually feels very beta. This is very disappointing, other manufacturers managed to deliver proper webcam features 6 months ago and we are still stuck with beta sofftware, no communication, closed facebook groups. Can you please provide an update on software development and a roadmap when we can expect a stable version and which features will be implemented?

Sightseer

[ New ]

It would be great, can you please do that?

Tourist

[ New ]

Hope it will be fixed and can use normally like other cam software, I believe in GoPro Webcam

Tourist

[ New ]

Will the software update support, which stopped as of October 2020, continue?
The latest software is Beta 8 and many bugs still continue.
Many people bought this product for hundreds of dollars to use as a webcam, like me, but we see that software development support was stopped suddenly.
Can we get an explanation about this?

Tourist

[ New ]

You know that you have used webcam feature extensively as a marketing strategy and many companies and professionals bought this product to improve their work quality. The fact that the developments have stopped in a short time is seriously damaging the trust in the GoPro brand. The weakness in community management has reached serious proportions, and no statement is made on the issue. If you are going to add this feature to sell, provide software support for a while and then move away from providing support like other cheap companies, please make a statement that "the development process has stalled" so that we can maintain our trust in you. 
Unfortunately, on my country "Turkey" have no GoPro liaison office. For our company, we have bought 200+ GoPro Hero9 Black for use in video conferencing. Due to such problems, our business is interrupted, support mails are not answered and we cannot see your answers in the forums. How long will this situation continue?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Que merda de serviço é este? Parece que é um favor da gopro dar um software para usar a can no windows.

Dai agora tem que obrigar o consumidor a entrar numa comunidade de terceiros no facebook para baixar algo que deveria estar na atualização da camera para todos?

Tomem vergonha na cara gopro. Se paga caro por este produto, não somos palhaços.

Além do mais é propaganda enganosa mostrar que a camera funciona como web cam e depois vir com este papinho de que só funciona com um sistema que é igual boto cor de rosa, quase ninguem usa.

Vergonha na cara 2.5 litros para vcs.

-------------

What the **bleep** is this service? It seems like gopro's favor to give software to use can on windows.

So now you have to force the consumer to join a third party community on Facebook to download something that should be in the camera update for everyone?

Be ashamed of your gopro face. If you pay dearly for this product, we are not clowns.

Furthermore, it is misleading advertising to show that the camera works as a web cam and then come with this little chat that only works with a system that is like the pink button, almost nobody uses it.

Shame on your face 2.5 liters for you guys.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey guys, 

I recently purchased the GoPro soley for its webcam feature. I am a streaming DJ / Producer using twitch. While using it on my macbook pro, I loved how it looked and the lighting was more magnificent than a Sony DSLR, except that it was gltichy as heck when I made fast movements on the camera. I decided to get a pc rig with a 3080 GPU card and when I used it, the quality was worse than a early 2000's nokia cell phone camera. Going through this thread, I am absolutely shocked that the beta devolopment has stopped (Is this true?). The webcam feature has so much potential and it is an unfinished product. I tried using the HERO9 with the capture card but when I have the settings as close as the way the webcam app process it, the HERO9 shuts off due to overheating. Is there anyway to make the gopro app work like the mac version without the glitchiness. This would be an absolute deal breaker for many who are now in this new market due to the pandemic. 

cheers

Hiker

[ New ]

My biggest concern if this will ever work - even if there are any stable drivers anytime in the far future - is overheating. The one time I manage to run it stable in a Zoom call just after an hour it overheated and stopped working for about 30 minutes. I hope this was just a bad coincidence, otherwise it won't work for me anyway.

Tourist

[ New ]

So disappointed in GoPro Webcam Software, I bought the GoPro Hero 8 for $450, and when I setup in OBS the 1080p@60fps, the quality is really really bad... and I need to buy a f*cking capture card for $200 and a media mod for +$100 to connect via HDMI and get a better quality.... It is not worth.

I am planning to sold it, because yesterday I bought a Canon EOS 4000d for $395, simple connect via USB, and gosh, the quality is much better, as different as chalk and cheese. I think if connect it with HDMI, the quality will much much better, but it is enoguh for me.

Conclusion: can't use gopro as a webcam normally, I can make this quality with a Logi c920 and I save my money....

Tourist

[ New ]

Purchased this camera to use for my online classes. I needed something that would allow me to live stream, have a wide view, and capture fast motion. The first is the most important. LIVE STREAM.

Do you not want teachers to be able to teach online during the pandemic? Seems counter to your ads.

THIS Camera does not connect to Win10 as per your instructions for online streaming. THERE IS NO CAMERA FEED. IT IS NOT CONNECTED.

Please don't insult or patronize me. I'm neither stupid nor ignorant. I've worked with tech for 30 years have connected lots of devices to various systems. With this, I've tried several things. File transfer -- not what I NEED -- does connect. So you did get that working.

OBS studio (for live streaming) can't even see the camera.

Windows can't see the camera.

There is no "Go Pro" icon as is claimed by all your instructions.

Once again, if you patronize me by asking if I read the --bleep-- instructions I will make sure you understand how offensive I find that.

Neither can I install the Media Mod SOFTWARE to try to use an HDMI connection via a Magewell capture device because ... your stupid ignorant --bleep-- camera will only allow that update if I have a phone connected -- the phone that doesn't work with your --bleep-- software because you can't be bothered to consider anything that might be backward compatible.

And you don't include a USB cradle for the micro card, so I can't try that either.

Really horrible experience. Bad thing to do to a teacher, developer, and well, anyone.

I intended to use the camera to record an extensive library of classes. I already have over 100 hours recorded. I have 500-800 more to be done.

Either you can help sort this out or you can give me a refund and I'll go find a Sony or something else that actually works without having to reinvent the wheel.

Tourist

[ New ]

"Connect the HERO9 Black to your computer to broadcast in 1080p HD. Use optional GoPro mounts to create your ideal webcam setup."

This appears to be false. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Dear @skenning and @GoPro Can you please give us an update on the situation, without further imrpovements on the webcam drivers I have to sell the camera asap as long as I can get good money for it.

Tourist

[ New ]

Better sell it quick. You wont get any answer from GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

I guess I will add my disappointment here as well.  One of big reasons I bought my Hero 9 was for the webcam.  Lags too much to use as a webcam as sound and lips don't match!  Will this be fixed?

Tourist

[ New ]

How did you get it to connect at all?

For me, it will only connect in MTP. Buggy software crashes every time it's supposed to "switch" to webcam mode. What genius thought that automating this switch was a good idea? It's not. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@livelybluf60575 wrote:

Better sell it quick. You wont get any answer from GoPro.

I sold it. Fun fact, from the money I lost by buying and reselling I could have bought a proper Logitech StreamCam in the first place. This was a very disappointing customer experience. I understand the word Beta, but when I ordered it back in October there were regular updates and open communication on Facebook, by the time I got it there were no more updates for almost 3 months and they closed the community and don't answer to any questions. Good luck to all of you, I'm outta here Heart

Tourist

[ New ]

SOLVED ISSUE NO PREVIEW ON WINDOWS:

JUST TURN OFF MY AVAST ANTI VIRUS, INSTANTANELY START WORKING, NO NEED TO TURN OFF FIRWALL.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

I tried this with no luck. I don't have any third party software installed, just windows 10 default firewall. I looked at advanced settings and it seems to be giving all the relevant permissions to the gopro application (although i am not in any way qualified in IT so could be missing something here). 

To be honest i understand its a beta software that seems to have been abandoned but it pisses me off in particular given that they actually advertise this as a feature on the hero 9 sales page (which is the deciding factor on why i bought this). 

Tourist

[ New ]
Also, i now cannot actually find anywhere to try downloading and reinstalling the webcam app from, any ideas? the link on the website still takes you to instructions to join a facebook group (ridiculous, but i did request this months ago and still have not been accepted).
Tourist

[ New ]

For webcam funcionality should be great if we have few controls on WINDOWS:

1. White Balance
  2. ISO
  3. Exposition
  4. Mirror

I GoPro need inspiration just check a very small software called iVcam, you can use cell phone as a webcam... and on windows software you can control the white ballance, aperture, etc...

In my case that I have my computer in front of a window my skin is aways out of range on white if I use gopro.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm really disappointed with the Go PRO 9 camera -- it fails to work as a web cam. The support provided is non-existent.

The sales hype is over the top but the service and software belongs in the circular. Considering what to do. 

Here's the link. They moved it so you don't have to join the group to get the download. Just awful at being considerate of consumers, especally teachers. We don't have the "advertising reach" of the biggy big sports brands. 

Teachers are not important. We aren't rich enough to matter to companies like Go Pro that make promises they don't keep. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/goprowebcam

Sightseer

Betreff: GoPro Webcam for Windows Beta is available!

[ New ]

I am quite disappointed. This webcam feature is all over the website and was, among other, the reason to purchase a brandnew GoPro Hero9 Black.

Now it turnes out that I do need an additional piece of software, available as Beta only, in order to run it.

That rules out the use as a webcam for me and anyone else with a company laptop and no administrative rights to install SW on my own.

Any cheap china action-cam offers this feature plug-n-play, but the most reknown brand cannot? I understand that you want to offer additonal features with your software (once its running), but at least give your customers the choice to use it as is by simply plug it in the USB-port. Whats the big deal?

Thanks and greets from Berlin, stay safe

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

I check and upgrade the Webcam client every day if possible. However my problem is still exsit.

I see only black screen in the preview and gopro logo in Skype.

I added more detail here:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Webcam/Gopro8-webcam-and-Intel-UHD-620/m-p/963501

Am I the only one with this problem? :)

Best regards.

gopro_webcam.png
Tourist

[ New ]

Since buying the gopro hero 9 last december, I managed to use the webcam function once! The first time i connnected it after installing, it worked ok. Since then it hasn't worked at all. I've updated the firmware, i've installed/removed/reinstalled multiple times, tried multiple usb-c cables, multiple usb 3.0 ports...
Since the update from jan 29th, I sometimes get the blue dot. This seems as an improvement as before it wouldn't show at all, though it appears that it's not related to the gopro being connected at all. The most i get is a go pro preview screen and an error message 5 secs later urging me to reconnect the camera.

Having Teams open or not sometimes has an impact on the blue dot appearing or not.
The graphics card is a gtx1070Ti, windows 10pro with a hardware vpn (router) to the office (sophos, cyber protect, ...), user profile has admin rights, dual xeon cpu, ...
I can't put my finger on what the problem actually is. All i can think about is that it doesn't register correctly as a usb-device. Can I send my log file somewhere?
It's also strange that it worked once, but not since after one single reboot (does it still block something?).

There's a lof of this in the log:

[:GetDetails]  
[:GetDetails] SetupDiGetDeviceInterfaceDetail-1 error, 122
[:GetDetails] CreateFile path, \\?\usb#root_hub20#4&451b471&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
[:GetDetails] DeviceIoControl hub/port/error, 0,3,87
[:GetDetails] CreateFile path, \\?\usb#root_hub20#4&bac8d5&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
[:GetDetails] DeviceIoControl hub/port/error, 1,3,87
[:GetDetails] CreateFile path, \\?\usb#root_hub30#4&1df59b48&0&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
[:GetDetails] DeviceIoControl hub/port/error, 2,22,87
[:GetDetails] CreateFile path, \\?\usb#vid_8087&pid_8002#5&c96080c&0&1#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
[:GetDetails] DeviceIoControl hub/port/error, 3,9,87
[:GetDetails] CreateFile path, \\?\usb#vid_1a40&pid_0101#5&19062f85&0&7#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
[:GetDetails] DeviceIoControl hub/port/error, 4,5,87
[:GetDetails] CreateFile path, \\?\usb#vid_03f0&pid_2524#5&19062f85&0&14#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
[:GetDetails] DeviceIoControl hub/port/error, 5,5,87
[:GetDetails] CreateFile path, \\?\usb#vid_8087&pid_800a#5&1a1a2e9a&0&1#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
[:GetDetails] DeviceIoControl hub/port/error, 6,7,87

The webcam feature was the main reason to get this gopro, though I'll probably sell it again soon to someone who doesn't care about the webcam feature. I have to fall back to the canon eos software and my big DSLR, which is quite impractical though works every single time.

Tourist

[ New ]

It seems strange why whould gopro force us so join some kind of a facebook to be able to download it and then send us to some kind of install appcenter, why not just put it to the gopro website? i guess i can trust it because the post was made by gopro mod but it is still strange, if it whould be by some random guy i whould straight away say its a virus. And i am not really sure if i should download it.

Tourist

[ New ]

They wanted to use the group as a marketing funnel. Unethical GoPRO. 

It's available from the main page without login but it doesn't work. The software doesn't work. GoPRO lied about being able to connect via usb -- all it does is lock the computer. GoPRO failed to properly test their software -- with their camera -- so the fancy software that's supposed to switch to webcam mode -- DOES NOT WORK. 

They should put the swich back on the menu and not use invasive methods to control my computer. 

It's a decent camera. Too bad the software and the company are ruining it. 

Tourist

[ New ]

You are correct. GoPRO screwed up the software / firmware and some of the boys decided to automate the switch to webcam mode (instead of leaving it on the menu) They screwed it up. The software never switches so the USB only crashes the machine. And it won't work via a converter either. Same reason.

The camera doesn't "switch" to USB / webcam mode. 

The software that runs the camera is junk. Bad code and lousy design. 

They should put the USB switch menu item back, let the camera be manually swiched to webcam mode, and then FULLY TEST IT for PUBLIC release not in their bubble-lab where everyone and everything is perfect. 

Tourist

[ New ]

It's still in beta, though it feels like an early alpha as it's apparently not working for A LOT of people.
The fact that the facebookgroup is closed to new members is likely because: 
- they have enough members for their testing purposes
- it was flooded with too many message saying it doesn't work as it's supposed to

The problem is, Gopro still forwards you to that facebookgroup and then you have to follow the link in the description of that group to actually download the software. They should NOT have promoted this as long as it's not functioning on a basic level. It was also very difficult to find information about it NOT working as it's supposed to.

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPRO is behaving unethically (and against US advertising regulations) when it advertises the GoPRO camera can be used as a webcam.

It doesn't work.

GoPRO doesn't care.

They are too busy laughing at us counting the money from all the people they tricked into buying a camera that doesn't work as they claim it does. 

They could fix it. Put the control back on the menu and take out the poorly written bad code that causes it to fail. 

GoPRO doesn't want to fix it. They can make more money selling a product that doesn't actually do what they claim because everybody wants a product that does what they claim. We just don't learn about it not working until after they take the money. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Will it ever support Go Pro Hero7 Black as it is written on the home page?

Nomad

[ New ]

@dev

Can we have the webcam settings (exposure, brightness, saturations, anti-flicker, etc) enabled. I know you guys can do this in the software ;)

Nomad

[ New ]

Version 603 is released. Minor fixes. Go update :)

GoPro Webcam 1.0.0.603 

Tourist

[ New ]

Latest update still won't work on Zoom meeting with MS Win10. Test GoPro App, run the preview and it work.  Launch Zoom Meeting, system crush...

Nomad

[ New ]

Dont run preview. You can't have 2 feeds simultaneously. If gopro webcam app crashed, force close it from the task manager or restart your pc. Then start zoom normally. Dont touch the setting on gopro app or preview. 

Works perfectly here.

zoom 

Nomad

[ New ]

I can even use the OBS Feed, and select in Zoom "OBS Virtual Camera".

Be sure you use the latest w10 build 2004 update.

obs

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks.. will try on it

Tourist

[ New ]

Admittedly a little finicky on first connect, making sure the cam is freshly powered on before connecting can go a long way to instant success but otherwise working great here with Hero8 and latest release of webcam software (v1.0.0.614). I run it without issue on two separate computers, a fresh Dell Latitude (10th gen Intel chipset/graphics) and a Gigabyte white-box build (Ryzen5/RTX2070S).

I suspect the root of a measure of reported problems are individually environmental. Running somewhat current tech in general can go a long way to get around compatibility issues. Most folks don't and/or won't install OS or driver updates (that aren't fully automatic) but ensuring chipset, BIOS, graphics and audio drivers are all up to date was once a foundational recommendation~ anytime you want to run a new bit of kit. Poor quality cables and broken/dodgy connections are obviously a non-starter, but something the average Joe may also not consider. As a specific example I have a super cheap 6' USB3?/USB-C cable that came from who knows where that half works; the cam thinks USB is connected but the webcam app doesn't see it. I've got a second known-quality 6' USB3.2/USB-C cable and it works flawlessly. I am not going to get into the weeds here with USB generations 3.1/3.2 (is that gen1, gen2 or gen2x2?) and the speeds/parameters/compatibility between the various types of USB connections~ if you have a few Saturdays to spare, there's tons of information out there on the subject. Suffice to say your junk better be up to snuff or you’ll have problems.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm not having any problems getting it started and getting it to work with Zoom, Skype or Teams.  But the BIG problem is that the video still lags the audio by a fraction of a second.  Its noticeable to the audience I am presenting to and I can also observe it on recordings.  This is totally unacceptable for a professional environment.  Thats why I bought the GoPro - for use as a webcam and it isn't performing at the high level its expected.

Tourist

[ New ]

Update released 3/18. Installed app prompts for download & install but hangs at 0%.  I saw an FAQ that suggested enabling sideloading apps in OS under dev settings. I ain't doin that, find another way dev team! :) Manual uninst/reinst works.

GoPro Webcam 1.0.0.633 Beta 10.2 

Tourist

[ New ]

Downloaded version 1.0.0.638 - first time user and new camera owner.  The computer recognizes the camera (using Microsoft Teams) however it doesn't display the video rather it shows a stock GoPro wallpaper in place of the live video feed.  Does the software require external IP access which is potenially being blocked by my endpoint manager?  Has anyone else seen this issue?  Did I miss an important setting?

GoPro.png

Nomad

[ New ]

after the first time installed, you should get a warning to accept administrator rights for the app. Dunno if you got those?

Tourist

[ New ]

It's likely that my work security settings are blocking necessary security rights.  When I try to actually run the software on my laptop it never loads. I tried to "run as administrator" and that didn't help.  The drivers are installed so Teams sees the camera but it doesn't work and eventually locks Teams.  Ugh.

Nomad

[ New ]

Be sure you run not preview from the GoPro webcam app. It cant show 2 feeds on the same time.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'll be so happy when the setting for white balancing, brightness, or contrast is released. Hopefully it will be released soon.

Please make it a priority. Thanks a bunch.

Tourist

[ New ]

Dream on. It took GoPro six month to develop a somehow stable M$-WIN10 driver. Featured functions like your wish might come along Covid-25.

Tourist

[ New ]

I had the same wall paper when trying to test ZOOM. Brand new camera, updated the firmware, and the webcam app simply wont connect to the camera. This is beyond frustrating. 

Tourist

[ New ]

The Non-Beta version of the app is not working as of mid April 2021. Brand new Hero 8 black, updated the firmware. Trying to run the app in Windows 10. tried different USB cables and different USB 3 ports. The app will show the blue dot for like half a second, but then it goes away. I bought this thing for an important job interview next week and I have wasted hours today trying to get it to work. Very frustrating.