Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Tourist

GoPro Webcam App Break VPN and Vice Versa

[ New ]

I did some investigating here.

The GoPro webcam app sets up a new interface with an IP address in the range of 172.16/12. In my case, my interface IP address is 172.28.35.54. My GoPro is given the IP address of 172.28.35.51. 

When you connect your VPN client, it sets routes for connectivity to corp resources. All of these routes are going to be in private IP space, 172.16/112 and 10/8 (CIDR notation). This means IP address ranges from 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 and 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255.

When your VPN sets these routes, it effectively stomps on GoPro's IPs. Instead of routing the traffic to your GoPro from the HTTP server and vice versa, it tries to route it via the VPN. In my case, I only have a small slice of the 10 and 172 range available. So it would be nice to configure what IPs to use. A localhost option and even setting to 192.168/16 would fix this too!

Anyone from the Dev team out there that can take this on?

Tourist

Re: GoPro Webcam App Break VPN and Vice Versa

[ New ]

@skenning I've seen you post on here so I am asking for help. I am using the Mac client in particular. Not sure if this problem also persists on Windows. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hey Michael,

Thanks for this very informative post.  The software is looking for an IP from the camera in the 172.xxx.xxx.51 range.  Sadly there is no way for us to configure the camera differently without a major firmware update, but we could make the software configurable to look for another address if you rerouted it.   What vpn software are you using it would be good to try to replicate this in house.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for letting me know. This is a major blocker for corp users. 

Most home routers give out IPs in the range 192.168.1.0, 192.168.0.1 or 10.10.1.1. If you did something like 192.168.254.100 for the interface and 192.168.254.105 for the Camera, these issues might not occur. 

Is the webcam software also running a DHCP server that assigns an IP to the camera? 

I am using Cisco Anyconnect. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Is there any update on this? I'm having the exact same issue with Cisco AnyConnect.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Can confirm I'm also having this issue using CIsco Any Connect on a Windows 10 machine.  Like others have said this functionality is really cool but if it doesn't work in a VPN environment with a lot of us working from home due to the pandemic, this is going to greatly hurt the feature's adoption rate.  Really hoping to see GoPro address this in an upcoming release.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue here. Took me two days to figured it out. I'm using Citrix Gateway. Once I log off the VPN, gopro will start working as a webcam. A real bummer. Team, please fix it.

Sightseer

[ New ]

HI,

Is there an update to the webcam software where we can configure what IP address to use by gopro?

this will resolve the VPN issue