Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Webcam
Tourist

GoPro Hero 8 Not working with Skype/FaceTime/Photo Booth [but works on Zoom]

[ New ]

Hi,

I followed the instructions here:

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/how-to-use-gopro-for-webcam

Initially the camera was not being recognized by any of the applications on my Mac. But I uninstalled and re-installed Zoom and then it started working with that application. 

But GoPro is still not recognized as a valid option for any of:

- FaceTime

- Photo Booth

NOTE: the camer works with the GoPro Webcam applcation and I'm able to do a live preview there.

GoPro Version: Hero 8 Black

System: Macbook Pro with macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Thanks, in advance, for any help!

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Not working with Skype/FaceTime/Photo Booth [but works on Zoom]

[ New ]
Sadly Apple had sandboxed these applications (FaceTime and PhotoBooth) in 10.14 and later and in 10.15 3rd party apps need to trust the webcam plugs for them to work. This is why webcam plugins like snap camera or manycam also do not work with Skype, FaceTime, etc. zoom has done the work to trust GoPro webcam which is why it works. You should contact Skype if you want support. As for FaceTime and photo booth you can turn off System integrity protection but it is not recommended https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-turn-off-mac-os-x-system-integrity-pr...
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 8 Not working with Skype/FaceTime/Photo Booth [but works on Zoom]

[ New ]

UPDATE: Removing Skype's Code Signature or going back to an older version of Skype fixes the problem. Here are the instructions.

Remove Skype’s Code Signature

Removing Skype’s code signature is another way to re-enable virtual cameras. To do this:

1) Quit Skype.

2) Open the Terminal app, found in Applications -> Utilities.

3) Copy and paste this command into Terminal and press return:

codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Renderer).app"

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you so much this has worked for me.  Any chance you also know a similar Terminal command to get it working with MS Teams for MAC?

Backpacker

[ New ]

@sm6645 thank you, works!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi There,
Same problem here, I have a mac book pro 2019 and a Go Pro Hero 8, No way that Photo Booth recognizes the GoPro. 
So GoPro dev team, please help us out here. All most every cam is recognized by Photo booth, click on Camera and you find them all, Only not the Go pro.

Looking forward to the response of the DEV team

Sightseer

[ New ]

Do you have a solution for Photo Booth??

@sm6645 wrote:

UPDATE: Removing Skype's Code Signature or going back to an older version of Skype fixes the problem. Here are the instructions.

Remove Skype’s Code Signature

Removing Skype’s code signature is another way to re-enable virtual cameras. To do this:

1) Quit Skype.

2) Open the Terminal app, found in Applications -> Utilities.

3) Copy and paste this command into Terminal and press return:

codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Renderer).app"

Tourist

[ New ]

This solution works!